Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5S1 laminectomy

Hey there so I had surgery on the 10th. Were at 9 days post op now. Shortly after waking up and getting up I realized that my left leg from the knee up and my groin area were completely numb. The nurse assured me this would pass it was because of injections during the surgery. It has not passed, it has not gotten any better. And im scared. The dr said he has no clue what is going on so it should get better. Has anyone experienced this and have you regained feeling.
Nen
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,658
    edited 04/18/2014 - 6:45 AM
  • Are you also having difficulty with numb buttocks, spreading numbness, genital pain? Difficulty emptying bladder or bowels or being able to tell if you need to go?
    If you are, then you need to contact your surgeon as soon as possible and discuss all of the symptoms you are having........
  • advertisement
  • I am actually, shortly after that post my left leg started to fall asleep while I was standing up. The numbness is still there. And I literally cant go to the bathroom I have to take stuff now to force it. I have talked with the Doctors office quite a bit. He has put me on prednisone and neurotin. Neither were helping. The pain has become so iut tense I cant stand it. I had myleogram today and follow up tomorrow so hopefully we will know what is going on. Have you had all of iut s as well?
    Nen
  • The scary thing for me is he has been a surgeon for 50 yrs and doesn't know what is going on, or says that he has never heard of this. If I can get on line and do a search and find others just like myself, why is he so confused. Its just a bit intimidating to feel like I have been mutilated for absolutely nothing.
    Nen
  • I had the same surgery as you about two years ago and never experienced what you are describing, I would definitely demand answers. I did have problem going to the bathroom this was related to the pain killers.
  • advertisement
  • Had the same thing in 12/10. Left leg and hip were completely numb. After 1 1/2 months the feeling began to come back. All the feeling that would come back, came back within 3 months. The worst part is that the first sensation to come back is pain. Also, never take an exercise stress test or you could wind up like me with the entire site fractured and lots more pain and numbness 2 1/2 years after.
advertisement