Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am EDITED and im scared

mikeystcmmikeystc Posts: 21
edited 04/22/2014 - 1:33 PM in Pain Medications
i am scared i been on norco 10's for 3 years she got me off norco on 3/29/14 i told her not to put me on Oxycontin 20mg pink now 1 month i am on Oxycontin and i had a Rx from my doctor saying to take norco 2 time a day in November 13 2013 im going to doctors on this Thursday i want to take only one painkiller is there a substitute for Oxycontin please i need a fast reply she is chiropractor/internal medicine /pain doctor i don't want to take Oxycontin and norco together what should i tell her that i went back on norco on my own IS THERE A SUBSTITUTE OF OXYCONTIN I AM ON 32 YEARS OLD I DONT WANT TO TAKE MEDICINE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH L5/S1 IT SHOWED A BULGED DISC 4.0 MM I CANT EVEN WORK OUT I AM SO MUCH PAIN I DONT WANT TO TAKE OXY AND NORCO AT THE SAME TIME PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I TELL MY DOCTOR

MIKEY
advertisement

Comments

• thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 04/22/2014 - 9:20 PM
    Have a look at www.drugs.com and use the interaction checker.

You should do better than me without sleep.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    want to take Norco and Oxycontin at the same time? If that is what your doctor recommended based on your condition.
    You indicate that you are in a lot of pain, therefore you need the medications to help minimize that pain,

Thats quite some doctor. I have never heard of a Chiropractor who is also a registered physician and a pain management doctor. Just ask her WHY? and if there are any other options
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • norco is hydrocodone and acetominophen.........oxycontin is oxycodone, without any tylenol is a dosage form meant to last 12 hours between doses.
    if your doctor took you off the norco, and replaced it with oxycontin, and i understand your post correctly, you went back to taking the norco instead of using the oxycontin....is that correct?
    you are not allowed to go back to taking a medication, even if it was prescribed to you previously, without discussing it with your doctor first. if she changed you to oxycontin, then that is the medication that you are supposed to be taking, not changing to your old medication without her .
    most patients who have been on short acting pain medications are changed to a long lasting one, for smoother and better pain control, and to help avoid tolerance issues. it provides a constant blood level of pain medication and most patients prefer that , after they make the adjustment . the only difference is that you don't notice the ups and downs of blood plasma levels that occur with short acting medications.
    i wouldn't be surprised if you are given a urine test, and if you don't tell the doctor that you went back on the norco, she will find out, and she will also find that you haven't been taking the oxycontin.
    no pain management doctor is going to keep a patient on short acting pain medications for an indefinate period of time. what don't you want to try the oxycontin?

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/dos-and-donts-pain-management
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 04/22/2014 - 11:18 AM
    Sorry my MISTAKE. No sleep.
  • So you were prescribed Norco and then taken off that and prescribed OxyContin instead, and you have been using both? I'm not sure if that's what you mean but if it is then you need to confess to your doctor and from now on take exactly what meds she prescribes. If you are unhappy with what you are taking, raise that with her rather than changing things on your own.
  • advertisement
  • Metadone may be an acceptable substitute for Oxycontin. It boils down to what works best for you . I've been taking 40mg Methadone Qd and narco10/325 1 PO QID PRN and it's been working ok for the last 8 years .. I have a dr that's not afraid to try new thing and new ways at my request , he works for me I don't work for him.
    reid
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/22/2014 - 1:35 PM
    methadone for a patient, they have to be opiate tolerant and there are far too many other options before doctors want to use methadone in some patients.
    The issue is that the patient needs to follow the prescribing directions of his doctor, not self medicate using only the drugs that he wants to use.
  • I've been taking 20 milligrams of oxycontin Then I had an Rx 10'S of Norco I refilled it do you understand Norco I can function from Norco second of all when I start taking oxy 20 I had the worst side effects ever I was having headaches nausea now I am taking Norco 10 325 Plus 40 milligrams of oxy 20 I was taking Norco by myself without asking the doctor
    dilauro said:
    want to take Norco and Oxycontin at the same time? If that is what your doctor recommended based on your condition.
    You indicate that you are in a lot of pain, therefore you need the medications to help minimize that pain,

Thats quite some doctor. I have never heard of a Chiropractor who is also a registered physician and a pain management doctor. Just ask her WHY? and if there are any other options
  • mcjimjam said:
    So you were prescribed Norco and then taken off that and prescribed OxyContin instead, and you have been using both? I'm not sure if that's what you mean but if it is then you need to confess to your doctor and from now on take exactly what meds she prescribes. If you are unhappy with what you are taking, raise that with her rather than changing things on your own.
  • mikeystcmmikeystc Posts: 21
    edited 04/22/2014 - 9:45 PM
    she took me off norco and put me on 20 milligrams twice a day now I feel like an idiot if I go to the doctors and tell her I take 10 325 Plus 40 milligrams of oxyCotin I'm scared what the doctor is going to do to me. but like I said Norco I function very well from it oxycontin I am scared to death to take it I am taking it now I together what is the doctor gonna do to me first of all I told her I do not want to be put on oxycontin because I heard a lot of bad stories about it then she put me on oxyMorpHone er and I got a severe headache from it so she put me back on oxycontin 20 milligrams twice daily took me off Norco 10 325 but I put myself back on Norco 10 325 because like I told you all I function way better on Norco then oxycontin and when I take Norco I have less pain
advertisement