Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Concentration Problems

Anyone else have this problem?? Some days, like today, nothing is making sense. I can read and re-read something and it still makes no sense, its like my mind can't comprehend the words in front of me. Is this caused by chronic pain or just the way I'm wired, some days or lack of wiring?? Is this the definition of "brainfog"?? I type a response to a post and as I'm saving it, I'm wondering is it a response to a correct post or what was the post even about, for that matter?? I'm not even for sure if what I'm writing now is making sense to anyone other than to my own brain.....maybe, I need a nap-or more coffee, maybe that's it...I just haven't had enough coffee yet?? Anyone, can't concentrate or brain is all over the place? Should I close my blinds and put up my "out of the office" sign for the rest of the day??
advertisement

Comments

• This is a great post. I work in a hospital lab and I know if I'm in agony, I make mistakes (minor ones)- no matter how hard I try to concentrate.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,760
    I can never tell when or why it happens, but I go into the ozone layer and my mind stops to work. My wife could ask me a question and my response would have nothing to do with the question. Other times, I am fine

Perhaps I should worry more about this. Could it be from long term medicine usage, from pain, from a little wine, from age??
    Or all the above
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/29/2014 - 6:25 AM
    At my parents golf club they call them 'Senior Moments'.. I've been a 'senior since my late 30's! I'm like you Ron & I've never really worried about it. I think it's just another little gift from the chronic pain club. I find it far worse In the mornings & evenings when my pain is a little more in focus. How can we expect our brains to be sharp with PAIN screaming in the background?

What was I talking about? Ha ha. ;-)

Sometimes I find it almost impossible to concentrate on what my kids or husband are talking about. It can be exhausting just trying to follow the most basic conversation. I know this is just pain levels rising but in the past I've been completely zombiefied by medications. Morphine, Lyrica & Cyclobenzaprine was the worst cocktail ever! I found it so embarrassing trying to hold even a very basic conversation & predictably this opened the door to the 'Beast'. Now I make sure that I 'keep an eye on myself' & tell my husband when I starting a new medication.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've got menapause brain for sure, on top of everything else.

Drug wise, the absolute worst as far as this issue went for me is neurontin. I don't know if you take it, but if you do, it could explain some of what you are feeling.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Hmmmm, peri-menopausal here, couldn't be that though cuz the men complain they get concentration issues also. I know the men here aren't menopausal, Jon being the exception of course lol--Ba-zinga, Jon ;-)

Couldn't be the neurontin either, I have been on this same dose (2700 mgs) forever. It's not everyday I have this, just some days-kind of like Ron described, I have ozone layers...

English, I like the "senior moment" metaphor--my bones feel senior and now so does my brain.

Thank goodness a day is only 24 hours long!!
  • advertisement
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 76
    edited 04/29/2014 - 7:13 AM
    Or maybe it's just "selective hearing" !! LOL
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,760
    That is mandatory for any married man.
    In fact, if you look deep into the wedding oaths going back hundreds of years, there is that one statement

As man and husband, it is recognized and accepted that you will have selective hearing
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had a great answer to this post but I forgot what I was going to say.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/29/2014 - 12:04 PM
    *Ron says" "As man and husband, it is recognized and accepted that you will have selective hearing"

Ron, it is also written & goes back hundreds of years, that if "man" chooses to partake in "selective hearing" that woman/wife had the right to slap said man/husband until he is able to hear again ;-)
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/29/2014 - 12:03 PM
    Ok, I don't want to promote physical violence--the wife can no longer, slap her husband for choosing to use selective hearing but she can resort to electric shock therapy until he can hear again. It also goes back hundreds of years, but back then selective hearing was taken care of by a hot cattle brander but as time and people evolved, it was found that electric shock therapy was more humane and a kinder gentler way of making sure that husband/man hung on woman/wife's every word. ;-)
advertisement