Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Facid Rhizotomy

mema6mmema6 Posts: 11
edited 05/01/2014 - 5:45 AM in Pain Management
What to expect after I have a Facid Rhizotomy. How much pain and what my limitations will likely be. I am having this done this Friday...5-2-2014.
Facid Rhizotomy
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,620

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had my RFA done on the 22 of this month. Afterwards, I can't say I had pain at all, just mild discomfort where they needles went in and that was taken care of with ice packs. My dr suggested I take it easy for about 3 days, I rested for 2 days and that was all the rest I could handle. On the 3rd day I got up and did some laundry and did a lil housework. I shouldn't have cuz it made things a little painful, but it was not an overbearing pain. 4th day I rested again. 6th day, I went shopping, I was on my feet for several straight hours and at the end of the day I noticed that my legs were NOT hurting at all!!! In all, for me, the RFA was worth it and I would, without a doubt, I would do it again. I see my dr in May for my follow up and I'm gonna schedule a RFA for my SI joints, which he said I could have done if I still had some pain. It's amazing that my leg pain is gone, it's only been 8 days for me, I just hope it last. One of the nurses told me, before my procedure, that one guy had it done and it lasted him 14 months, I hope mine turns out like his. Anymore questions, just ask. ;-)
  • advertisement
  • mema6mmema6 Posts: 11
    edited 05/01/2014 - 7:09 AM
    My procedure will be done on the nerves next to the spine that transports the pain to the brain. The nerves will be cauterized.
    Is this what you had done? I will listen to your advise on resting. Taren, Thank You.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • Yes, that is what I had done. I hope it helps to relieve your pain. If you haven't read the links Liz has given you, please do it will explain things in more detail. Please let me know how it goes for u.
    edited 05/02/2014 - 9:08 AM
    Home now. Everythig wet well. Tlme will tell.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • advertisement
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 05/03/2014 - 3:06 AM
    How are you feeling today? If you check in, please post. I have had a little bit of a set back the last 2 days, but it's still early. Like you, time will tell :-)
    edited 05/04/2014 - 2:35 AM
    I seem to be sorer than yesterday. My husband is keeplng his "eagle eye" on me so I couldn't do anything if I wanted too.
    What is happening to you? ...What are your setbacks?....You are 10 days ahead of me so therefore....I am very curious about what you are going through. (Maybe I should say nosey.LOL..LOL)...I hope you have a better day (& days).
    Keep your head up and ......THINK POSITIVELY!!!!!!!!
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • I am experiencing more pain at this point than I was the first several days after having it done. Things seem ok as long as I'm resting but when I get up and start moving around the pain comes back. Walking is, at this point,killing me, But, I do know that I could experience more pain in the beginning and that it could take up to6-8 weeks to notice a difference. So, I have not completely given up on the benefits of this yet.

Before having this done, I could have an active day only to be followed by having to 2-3 days of "taking it easy" now, I seem to be right back to that same cycle. I had a very active day Friday, with walking alot, now this will be my 2 day of ice,heat and not being on my feet and legs so much. However, things do feel better than yesterday but I also know that is because I was pretty inactive yesterday.

So far, I have had one wonderful day where I was able to walk and my legs didn't kill me. It was great!!! I want/need this to work so BAD, as I know you do as well. I was and still am hoping that this will work, I was hoping to have my SI joints done, but now I don't know, will have to wait and see.

Keep letting me know how you are doing with your RFA, 3 months from now we could both be running marathons, who knows ;-)
    edited 05/04/2014 - 9:47 AM
    You are a lot worse off from me. ....I have never had leg pain. ...Mine is all in my SacriliacJoints....I have trouble walking because of the great pain. My husband now does all the shopping and vacuuming. I need a wheelchair if I go out and have to walk far...If not far I use a cane.......My Dr. has already told me that I have so much wrong that I will still have some pain even if this works. .......I can work with that.....You are feeling now how I felt everyday for the last 18 months. I feel very bad for you.....I pray you will get better soon. Have you lifted anything?...That is a killer for me, especially pulling laundry and vacuuming..

Facid Rhizotomy
  • Well, ty mema6 for the prayers and well wishes. I sincerely wish the same for you. My pain is in my SI joints as well as the whole lumbar area. I'm hoping that this works because I want to have my SI's burnt as well. Leg pain is horrible, it's relentless!!!

No, I haven't lifted anything, well anything heavy anyway. I guess the heaviest thing I lift is a laundry basket & where it's just me and my husband, I don't have a lot of laundry. I do small loads everyday to keep up with it. Like you, vacuuming is very hard, also mopping is a killer for me as well--its the slight bending and the back and forth motion that gets us. But what do you do--I can't stand my floors dirty & I hate to ask my husband to do it, especially since alot of times he will vacuum or sweep and mop before he goes to work, while I'm still sleeping. Yea, I have one of the good'ens ;-)
advertisement