Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

RFA failure or part of the process??

advertisement

Comments

• TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 05/04/2014 - 12:40 PM
    terror8396 said:
    it felt like i was being burned inside
    jon
    Jon, I can't say I felt I was being burned from the inside but I can say I sure felt I was being tortured from the insde when the nerves were touched, it was definitely up there with my most painful procedures. I assume your RFA didn't give you any relief?? Do you remember any kind of benefit from it, even if it was for a short time? Did walking make you feel worse? If you did have any relief, how long before you realized it? My dr has described that the relief will just kinda sneak up on me, like I will be doing something and realize that, "hey, all of a sudden, I'm noticing that this, that or the other is not causing me to have pain or as much pain.....
  • nothing. i always wondered why all of these so called procedures ie discography and others are all painful. it is weird that one has to go through pain to get diagnosed. it seems sort of funny in a weird way that those with back pain have to suffer even more pain for help or diagnosis. ouch
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • Oh yes, Jon, isn't that the truth--I guess things like this is where such sayings as, "no pain, no gain" come from. I swear though, some of those procedure done to see where our pain is or why we have it, will bring you up off the table and all you can do is lay there an take it. Just wish they wouldn't make us take it without sedation. There's a reason those nerves are hidden under our skin--it's because they are not to be touched and when they go in and grab one, they will get very angry and take it out on us for the rest of our existence. Pain,burning,cutting, pulling, injecting....OUCH, %#!@&@%, all in the name of killing off or locating the source of pain---I was ALREADY in pain!!! **sigh**
  • Nick_Murphy said:
    Thanks Taren, I've just seen my consultant who met with my surgeons and am going to be scheduled for a triple round of injections in the next few weeks; nerve block, Caudal Epidural and Facet Joints, in the hope that they can settle the nerves down now that the mechanical issues have been resolved with the fusion, so hopefully I will improve further. I don't like to complain though, because I am still even now at a much better point and able to do many more things like playing golf and walking several miles, just want to try and get the nerves to settle. Wish you continued improvement :-)

Awwww, well Nick, I wish you continued improvement as well. I remember reading that you enjoyed golf. I love walking too, I could walk for miles if my legs would cooperate. That's what I told my dr before my RFA, I just wanted to walk w/o pain. I hope all the injections work and controls all your nerve pain. Nerve pain is very difficult to control. It's a different kind of pain compared to back pain, it's almost a relentless kind of pain. Will we all ever be the same again, Nick??? Are there any answers for us all? Maybe this is as good as it's gonna get and this has become our "new normal" ;-(
  • the only thing i have had worse than some of these back procedures was a bone marrow test where they stick a needle in your sternum or hip bone and take out the marrow. nothing given at all. the nurse held my hand and said it was ok to scream no one will hear me in this room and boy did i scream. poor kids with leukemia have to have these all of the time. they dont knock you out because it only takes a little bit of time. worse pain ever well that and kidney stones
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • So is it possible that mine weren't done properly because I was knocked out. My physical reaction to pain could be the reason they didn't want to do it with me conscious but does it mean they were giving it an educated guess?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've had RFA twice. My doctor never asked me a single question during the procedure that was related to the procedure. We actually talked about sports. So I really would doubt that it wasn't done properly just because your doctor knocked you out.

I was pretty sore for a couple weeks afterwards, but not so bad that I couldn't function. Remember that each person is a little different and will recover at different rates. If your pain continues, I'd call your doctor and let him/her know what's going on and what your feeling.

Keep your head up!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 05/06/2014 - 6:57 AM
    EnglishGirl said:
    So is it possible that mine weren't done properly because I was knocked out. My physical reaction to pain could be the reason they didn't want to do it with me conscious but does it mean they were giving it an educated guess?

No, English, I can't say yours were not done properly because you were knocked out. I was wide awake though, lidocaine was used to numb my area. My dr did, unlike EMS Guy, ask me questions during my procedure, pertaining to my back. He wanted to know if I could feel my muscles twitching when he did something? (I could not tell what he was doing since I was laying on my stomach) He also wanted to know if I could feel a tingling sensation & how far down my leg I could feel it? I'm assuming these questions were asked to verify the correct nerves that were causing the problems. He would also ask me if the procedure was becoming to painful to proceed, if so, at this time he would stop and inject more lidocaine. But if you were knocked out there would have been no need to ask you this question :-)

The subject of sports or related topics never came up "during" my procedure, once the dr came in it all became a very professional atmosphere (which I prefer) Some of the nurses and I did, however, laugh a bit about of all things disco music then after it was all over, my dr told us he was a fan of disco music and laughed a bit and he was gone until he came back into the recovery room to check on me. ;-)
  • DerridaDDerrida Cleveland OhioPosts: 2
    I've had RFA 5 times. 2 very successful. Two mildly successful about 50% or so. And just recently nonsuccessful and it's been 4 and 1/2 weeks. None of them were all that painful except one where the doc injected the initial numbing anesthetic too fast just like some dentists do. Just tell yours not to do that.  So there may be no need to fear as far as pain goes but I was wondering if anyone thinks there's still a chance the nerves could still die some after 4 and 1/2 weeks or so.
  • My lower right back is a mess.  I did the RFA 4 weeks ago.  I still can’t walk.  My doctor is trying several different meds,but it takes time, and I am I so much pain I could scream.........I do scream because the pain is so bad.  If the combinations of drugs work on me,  I will post them upon this site.  Very disappointed to say the least

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.