Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain in the battery pack area

I had the permanet medtronic device implanted on Friday evening. I was doing really well until this afternoon. The area around the pocket that was created for the battery pack is burning. The only thing I can relate it to is as if someone poured hydrogen perxiode on an open wound. It is also extremely sensative to the touch. If I just light brush up against something the pain is excruiting. I know I have heard that the battery pouch area can be the worse I was just worried about the burning.
advertisement

Comments

• Right now. I had a side effect after the doctor put in a similar product. Turns out I was leaking spinal fluid! My incision site had been hurting for almost 3 days before I called my doctor. Because mine was implanted on my back I could not see how much fluid accumulated and the swelling at the incision site. My husband came home for a business trip, he checked my incision, got a hold of my doctor and he immediately saw me at his office after hours. I learned the hard way to report any side effects to my doctor immediately. Please let me know how you're doing.
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • Now I am worried as I had a spinal headache the next day and was told it was because I was leaking spinal fluid. I will be calling the doctor first thing in the morning. My other pains and aches are progressively getting better, but this burning has not made any progress and it so bad it brings me to tears.
  • advertisement
  • I would recommend using your doctor's emergency number. If he/she did not give you one, call the office to see if there is a number on the phone for after hour emergencies. If you have the number for the Medtronic rep, call them....or we got my doctors cell phone number by calling the hospital I had the surgery I don't want you to be worried, but it needs to be checked out. I hope the pain is getting better, I will be thinking of you.
  • Is your battery pack placed directly on your spine? No, its not. My battery pack burned for weeks after it was implanted in February. It still burns every now and then. You can't have a spinal fluid leak, the battery is placed of to the side either in your abdomen or in your hip area. Oh yeah not trying to sound harsh but I have 5 back surgeries besides the spinal cord stimulator. The SCS surgery was the worst pain I have ever been through. Its gonna hurt for a while but you can get thru it.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Called the nurse today and she said she has never heard anyone having a burning sensation with the implant. The doctor called and asked if I turned the battery on??? Turned it on??? How could I turn it on? I don't have an appointment to turn ont the stimulator for another week. Then he asked if it is swollen. The answer was yes then he asked if it is swollen more than it should be? Well I don't know how swollen it should be. They made this surgery out to be way less than it truly it. I recovered faster from my back surgery than this. So I am anxious to go in tomorrow to see what they can figure out.
  • advertisement
  • that you got a hold of your doctor. I understand, how would you know how swollen it's supposed to be? Let me know how it goes tomorrow.
  • murraymrmmurraymr Posts: 102
    edited 05/19/2014 - 4:19 AM
    RTgirl2011 said:
    You can't have a spinal fluid leak, the battery is placed of to the side either in your abdomen or in your hip area...... The SCS surgery was the worst pain I have ever been through. Its gonna hurt for a while but you can get thru it.
    RTgirl,

I am sorry to hear of your suffering and trials, but I am having trouble with understanding your assumptions. The leads go near your spinal canal, so there is no risk of a CSF leak, correct? I don't think everyone has the same pain with the implant. I got scared of my trial surgery from what I read, but it was way less complicated for me than what was said in the forum. I am sure it varies a lot by doctor, procedure, brand, etc...; and maybe I have just been fortunate.
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • If you are experiencing burning where your battery is there is no way you can have a spinal fluid leak. Your battery isn't no where near your spinal canal. If you were leaking CSF you would be having headaches, nausea, light sensitivity, or possibly even a stiff neck. My pocket where my battery sits burned like crazy the first month I had it.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Well I am back at square one. Doctor said his clinic is open until 4:30 to come in any time. I told him to expect me between 4:00 and 4:30. Well as luck would have it the professional baseball game let out just as we were attempting to get to his clinic. I called his office as soon as we hit the stand still traffic and got the voice mail. I figured they were on the other line and left a message that we were on our way and stuck in traffic. We arrive at 4:45 to find the place empty. I tracked down some ladies in the hall and they searched and made phone calls but no luck finding anyone from the pain clinic. Called the doctor on his cell phone which he had called me on and he argued with my husband that we never called to say we were going to be late, he was too busy, etc, etc. Not the first time I have heard he was to busy. So after a 2 hour ride we ended up not being able to see the doctor. So now I still have this intense burning area near the battery and a doctor who is too busy to look at it. I am just in tears. I am ready to give up and not even bother having it turned on. I already know that the leads are not in the correct place as I remember every time they woke me up during the placement. So why even bother. Feeling beyond helpless.
  • RTgirl2011 said:
    If you were leaking CSF you would be having headaches, nausea, light sensitivity, or possibly even a stiff neck.
    Exactly. I had this happen and had those symptoms.

Sorry to hear about the PM Doctor. Good PM offices are hard to find.
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.