Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spinning?

I am about 10 weeks after L5/S1 Fusion with rod and screws. I am going crazy not being able to be in the gym. I was an avid runner. I am feeling good. Has anyone tried spinning? I would love to do something to also burn calories as I have also gained some weight during this process. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Hope all are having a good recovery!
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • runnergirl318 said:
    I am about 10 weeks after L5/S1 Fusion with rod and screws. I am going crazy not being able to be in the gym. I was an avid runner. I am feeling good. Has anyone tried spinning? I would love to do something to also burn calories as I have also gained some weight during this process. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Hope all are having a good recovery!
    I've never done spinning but from the looks of it, it seems like it might be a little too much bending forward. I too was very active before my L4/L5 fusion (now 7 weeks out) and my doctor said a regular stationary bike would be fine since it doesn't require as much leaning. That might be good for you to eventually transition into spinning.

Good luck!!
  • advertisement
  • It took me most of my life to learn this one lesson. The body needs to sufficiently heal before engaging in the next workout.
    If you do too much too soon, you will just push yourself back. I discovered this with weight lifting. I had no problem pushing myself. The slogan "no pain, no gain" sat with me and many others that I know. What I found out was that "no rest, no gain". You need to exercise, and than you need to let things heal enough so that the next workout is effective. If you push to hard during a workout, you have to rest longer. You actually can get better gains with less if you have been pushing to hard.
    I understand that you want to get up and return to full throttle. You need to let your body heal. How hard you can push your self is dependent on a lot of variables. Listen to your medical team and tell them what you want.