Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy

Dee127DDee127 Posts: 4
edited 09/30/2014 - 10:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi there,
I am just 3 weeks post op from L4 L5 microdiscectomy and am really worried as I still have that tingling pain down into my foot and also quite a lot of pain across May back and into my hips. I had this same surgery in May of this year and had the tingling pain in my foot which my surgeon said would go in time as the nerve had been aggravated for so long. I never got to find out if this was the case as by the time I went for my 6 week post op check-up the disc had re herniated and sadly I had to have the second surgery at the beginning of September.

My question to all my fellow back sufferers is should I be worried, is this normal? I'm so afraid I will have to have a fusion

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.
D x
advertisement

Comments

• dea-lynnddea-lynn Posts: 151
    edited 09/30/2014 - 2:40 PM
    I'm am just shy of being 2 weeks post op and I am having the same issues with numbness in my foot and pretty severe pain in my back. I had my 2 wk post op visit yesterday and my surgeon says everything looks great on the outside and that the numbness and pain should subside. I to am having the same fear as every surgeon that I saw before my current surgeon said if they would do any surgery it would be a fusion but that I was "too young" so I had the micro disectomy, hoping this will do the trick as this has been going on for almost a year.
    Best of luck to you.
    Dea-Lynn
  • Did the pain diminish after surgery or has it remained the same? My surgeon told me that if the pain is the same as before it should settle in time.

Between my 1st & 2nd discectomies the pain went away but came back so my neurosurgeon sent me off for an MRI which frustratingly showed a reherniation. When I woke from the 2nd discectomy I had a really painful ankle. My surgeon dismissed this blaming two surgeries so close together. At the 4 week post op mark I complained again & he sent me off for another MRI. The radiologist report showed a herniation which my surgeon said was just scar tissue. I persisted & another MRI showed a sequested disc fragment impinging the nerve. Off I went for a a TLIF. I still have nerve throbbing but am hopeful it will diminish.

You're still early into recovery at 3 weeks & it takes longer the second round especially having 2 surgeries so close together, so may just take longer to get back on track. I've read on various topics here that the nerve can take up to two years to heal (not what anyone wants to hear).
    Good luck,
    Veronica
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • advertisement
  • If you do a search on continued nerve pain post surgery, you will find hundreds of threads in which this issue has been discussed.
    Ongoing nerve pain is common post op, and it is most likely due to the compression of the nerves previous to surgery, and once it is relieved, the nerve gets inflammed and angry for a time.
    It can take some weeks and sometimes a few months before it settles down again but it normally settles down.
  • sandi said:
    If you do a search on continued nerve pain post surgery, you will find hundreds of threads in which this issue has been discussed.
    Ongoing nerve pain is common post op, and it is most likely due to the compression of the nerves previous to surgery, and once it is relieved, the nerve gets inflammed and angry for a time.
    It can take some weeks and sometimes a few months before it settles down again but it normally settles down.
    That is pretty much exactly what my surgeon told me word for word. as far as the pain levels immediately following surgery the pain was worse then when the injury first occurred nearly a year ago, since then it has subsided, but then on Wednesday I had a seminar that I couldn't get out of and that has increased my pain back to almost as bad as before I had surgery. Then by Saturday morning I was feeling better so at a family reunion I decided to try and play a game of ladderball (I had my partner do the bending and such to pick up the dropped balls) but the pain as increased again, and while I am getting around better I am still having the numbness but what is starting to worry me a little bit is that the sciatic pain and the pain shooting across my back is back as well. Also, I am having pain at what I believe is around L1-2 or even L3-4 because it is slightly above my incision. I am hoping the pain subsides again and that I haven't reinjured my self, I have been super careful about following the no BLT restrictions, but I may have twisted unknowingly in my sleep....
    Dea-Lynn
  • Thank you all for your helpful comments. Owie_999 we seem to have pretty much the same story! The pain is the same as pre surgery, maybe not so intense so hopefully as you say it will diminish in time. I'm not seeing the surgeon until 24 oct so will just have to wait it out.
    Dealynn, I too had been suffering for almost a year prior to the first surgery. My surgeon did not want to do the fusion so hence I had 2 microdiscectomies but he says if this does not work the only alternative is the fusion . I hope you continue to recover well.
    Dee x
    D x
  • advertisement
  • dea-lynnddea-lynn Posts: 151
    edited 10/14/2014 - 3:26 PM
    Just had my 4 wk post op visit yesterday and surgeon said that inscion still looks great. He also is starting me in official PT and said that if the numbness and pain continue or get worse before I see him again in 4wks then he will look into possibly dping another MRI but I am still a bit worried.
    Dea-Lynn
  • dea-lynn said:
    Just had my 4 wk post op visit yesterday and surgeon said that inscion still looks great. He also is starting me in official PT and said that if the numbness and pain continue or get worse before I see him again in 4wks then he will look into possibly dping another MRI but I am still a bit worried.
    The pt will definitely help, but you can insist on an MRI to put your mind at rest that all is as it should be. I am having an MRI on Friday and really hoping that nothing shows up.
    D x
  • Hello there-

I had the same surgery and I am feeling great now. I wanted you to know I had the same pain/numbness after surgery. It went away and eventually healed around 8 weeks. I still feel stiffness and pain(soreness) at the sight of the incision especially when I over do it. I am swimming laps 3 times a week and walking each day. :) Be encouraged!
    Stephanie Ross
  • I am having my 2 month follow up on Friday. I am still concerned because of the amount of pain that I am having both at the incision site AND now going out to both buttocks and hips, plus I am still having numbness in my left foot especially near my toes and down the outer side of my foot. I called the doctor about 10 days ago to see about a refill and when I told him what was going on he said it may just be a flare-up but that he would check it out when I came in. Also that after this last refill he would not prescribe anymore pain meds, and that he wants me back in pain management (have to find a new one because after the surgery I lost my apartment and had to move). Just wondering if I should be concerned, my injury happened over a year ago and nothing but PT and injections was done for 7 months but nothing was done except take muscle relaxers and occasionally pain meds for the first 5 months due to it being a work related injury and being tied up with WC issues and appeals which I am still fighting but my lawyer said to use my insurance after it was denied by the commission. I'm just scared that things got started too late.
    Dea-Lynn
  • Dee127 said:
    dea-lynn said:
    The pt will definitely help, but you can insist on an MRI to put your mind at rest that all is as it should be. I am having an MRI on Friday and really hoping that nothing shows up.
    How did everything go with your MRI?
    Dea-Lynn
advertisement