Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lightheaded and dizzy, 3 weeks post surgery

Hi all, It's been almost 3 weeks since my Laminectomy/tumor removal surgery (L3-5). I was feeling pretty good at the 10 day mark, even went to Dr. for follow up and walked quite a distance to get to the office. In the last 4 days however, I've become very weak, dizzy and lightheaded when I stand to walk anywhere. It is a struggle even to walk to the kitchen from the bedroom. I have a call into my surgeon's office, but I was wondering if this is somewhat normal after such a surgery?

I'm so frustrated, was walking good every day, now I can't seem to walk 100' without having to sit down. The pain levels are great, no real pain to speak of. My husband, bless his heart, thinks I should get moving and it will work itself out. I feel like I'm a failure.

Ideas?

advertisement

Comments

• I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't think it's normal to be dizzy like that. I've had 2 microdiscectomies, one with a laminectomy, and a fusion and I never got dizzy like that. The meds that I take occasionally make me feel slightly light-headed, but not like you are describing.

I would definitely call your surgeon's office and let them know what's going on. I'm sure there could be a very simple explanation, I just always believe better safe than sorry! Best wishes.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Feeling dizzy when you stand might be an indicator that your blood pressure is low and doesn't adjust quickly enough when you stand leaving your brain with less circulation temporarily. Make sure that when you go to get up you do it in slow stages to give your body time to adjust. I normally am on two blood pressure medications, but my pressure has been low enough post fusion that I have had to go off one and still find my pressure typically around 98/58. I have also lost weight and gone off NSAID's which are known to increase BP. Anyway it's worth getting your pressure checked both lying, sitting and standing.
    LindaMac
  • advertisement
  • Ended up in the ER yesterday, surgeon's office was worried that I might have a blood clot in my lung. CT scan came back negative. Found out I was severely dehydrated. That's what I get for NOT drinking enough water. Learned my lesson!! Feeling much better today, with water by my side. :)
  • Glad to hear that you are feeling better!
    LindaMac
  • I had back surgery at the T8 T9 section. I was fine till a month and a half after. Kept getting dizzy and lightheadedness whenever I would get up out the car. I would have to fall back into the car and cut the a/c just to relax. Went to the ER a couple of times for the problem. 1st time they said constipated. 2nd time they said dehydrated. 3rd time I finally passed out because of it. They did an MRI and found a cyst blocking my spinal fluid flow. I honestly think i was gettin lightheaded and dizzy because of all the medicine I was taking and gettin up to fast. Make sure u get up slow. Hope you feel better.
  • advertisement
  • darealsteveoddarealsteveo Posts: 31
    edited 11/01/2014 - 5:21 PM
    I had back surgery at the T8 T9 section. I was fine till a month and a half after. Kept getting dizzy and lightheadedness whenever I would get up out the car. I would have to fall back into the car and cut the a/c just to relax. Went to the ER a couple of times for the problem. 1st time they said constipated. 2nd time they said dehydrated. 3rd time I finally passed out because of it. They did an MRI and found a cyst blocking my spinal fluid flow. I honestly think i was gettin lightheaded and dizzy because of all the medicine I was taking and gettin up to fast. Make sure u get up slow. Hope you feel better.
advertisement