Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thoracic Pain Sufferers

Comments

• dilauro said:
    I'' take the lead here:

1. How did it get started?
    About 12 years ago, shorty after my last cervical surgery in 2000.
    NS believes that between all of my spinal surgeries, the cervical area having multiple fusions and the amount of scar tissue in the lumbar area, that all the stress was placed on the thoracic area and finally it started to herniated and tear. This has been going on now on a regular basis.

2. How long have you been dealing with in?
    12 years

3. What treatments are you currently under? Do any help?
    I spent 13 months in Physical Therapy along with Aqua Therapy. They discharged me because I was showing no signs of improvement. There were no standard PT actions that could be used to help work on my situation.

4. Has Surgery been considered?
    Mentioned, but not really considered. My spinal situation with 7 previous surgeries does not make me a good candidate, plus the thoracic surgical procedure is pretty intense and there are zero guarantees that I would get any relief.

5. Have you tried Deep Tissue Massage (The "Real" thing )
    For the past 14 months I have been going for weekly Deep Tissue Massage therapy from an expert trained in the "Thai" style of aggressive Deep Tissue Massage. As painful as this has been its been the ONLY treatment that has offered any relief

6. What causes it to flare up more?
    Computer work, sitting at a desk seems to be the major factor to cause flare ups. Working outside with power equipment (Leaf blower, Chain saw, Weed Wacker, etc) - the vibrations seem to send my T-discs flying.

7. When you have flareups what do you do about them?
    Heat, heat, use of a half and full roll to lay on and to extend and open
    up the thoracic area. Lay on tennis balls to hit the sorest spots. Not much else, just
    grin and bear it until it starts to calm down

8. Can you continue to work with this condition?
    I do, I am a software engineer and because of that I create more problems and flareups for my thoracic and at times cervical discs. I am coming to a major life decision to continue to work and inflict more damage on my spine or retire and find other work to do

9. Has it been getting worse or staying the same?
    It stays the same IF I dont do anything to cause it to flare up. But I've noticed that with each flare up, the intensity and length of the flare up is longer.
    Right now, I am going into my 4th week with the current Thoracic flare up and I am back to not sleeping, being miserable and cranky, discouraged and in constant pain.

10. How are you dealing with it all?
    The best I can

I would really like to here more from people who are suffering from Thoracic disc problems. At some point, I would like to see it get its on major forum name, since I believe the problem is out there and it is growing faster and faster. It is one of the most underrated , mis-understood spinal disc condition that I have had to deal with.

One of my good friends was 35 years old, in her own medical practice and doing so well. She developed Thoracic disc problems and had to retire from her practice and now is basically sitting at home for the past 18 years not being able to do much. She has not slept in a normal bed in over 10 years.

Please add your posts and situations to this topic.
    Clarissa