Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

This has to be against the law

My pm doctor wrote me prescription for oxycodone 5 mg.x 120. When I took it to my regular pharmacy, they were out of it, so I took it someplace else. The pharmacist told me that because I had not been there before, they could only give me 20 and I would the the rest. Needless to say, I said forget it! If your doctor writes a scripp for 120 pills, how can the pharmacy decide on their own to just give you 20? That just seems so wrong!
advertisement

Comments

• It is!!! My pharmacy has been short on my narcotic meds before. Usually if they only have part of one of my non narcotic prescriptions, like my sleeping pills, they do a 'part fill' & I return a few days later to collect the rest. I've been told that it's against the law to do partial fills on narcotic prescriptions!! With my Oxycodone my pharmacist phoned around for me & arranged for my husband to collect my prescription, in FULL from another pharmacy. I'd report them. There's something fishy going on there.

I hope you got your meds from a different pharmacy in the end??
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Sounds like the pharmacist is going to party for a while with the other 100 pills you didn't/wouldn't get!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Pharmacies are not legally bound to see any prescript to patients even when legitimate prescripts are provided.
    Each pharmacy can make their own decisions

You dont hear about this too often, when you its with new patients or younger patients. Many times the pharmacy will have only xx amount of the total yy pills and will offer that only. Keep in mind, if you agree to that, the entire script is taken, regardless what the number requested was. So, if you accepted 20, that prescription is completed!

Now, it does not make a lot of good business sense why pharmacies do this. When I do hear about this, it seems to come from chain stores.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I fill my scripts regularly at the same pharmacy every time. This most recent time, the tech needed to 'ask' the staff pharmacist if they could fill it. This has never happened before but I assumed it has to do with the ever decreasing amount of pills they are permitted to keep on hand. The pharmacist took one look at my paperwork though, and said yes. I would hope to believe that because I have been a good, honest and regular customer, he chose to fill my script in full. But I could be wrong.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • These sorts of problems with pharmacies seem to be happening more & more. I've never had a problem (except with Targets automated system but that's system not staff issues) & I wonder if it's because I live in a very new build, young family area. If pharmacies everywhere are limited to the quantities of narcotics they can order my logic says that more older people have chronic pain problems so less people are prescribed in my area. Do you guys live in more established areas with a wider demographic?

Do you agree with my logic or do you think these problems are going to spread nation wide in the current anti-narcotic climate? In my old house Walgreens was very close & convenient. They seem to have the worst reputation but I never had problems with them. I'm currently using CVS & the pharmacist there is fantastic. I couldn't wish for better service. My doc has made mistakes on occasion. She's always sorted things out & appologised profusely for taking 5 minutes longer than promised!!

Like Sarah I hope my loyalty is being rewarded!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • advertisement
  • carol1017ccarol1017 Posts: 3
    edited 11/11/2014 - 1:51 PM
    I live in a large city and have never had any problems with my prescriptions. I have been using the same one for years, and I have noticed recently that the tech shows it to the pharmacist first, but they always fill it because I am such a regular customer. It just so happened that this time they were out of it, so that's why I tried some other places. No, I did not get it filled at the place where I could only get 20! I hope I'm not that senile yet. I just got it filled at my regular pharmacy because they got their delivery today. I told her about the other place and she said, "that doesn't sound good". Thanks for the responses.
  • I'm in a large metropolitan city so who knows? Could be.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • dilauro said:

You dont hear about this too often, when you its with new patients or younger patients. Many times the pharmacy will have only xx amount of the total yy pills and will offer that only. Keep in mind, if you agree to that, the entire script is taken, regardless what the number requested was. So, if you accepted 20, that prescription is completed!

That sounds crazy.,,and very fishy! What then are you supposed to do when you need to take the other 100?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    That is a fact.

I've run into this several times at different pharmacies. Script calls for 180, they have only 100. They can fill it, but then
    that script is gone forever. This applies to narcotics only.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I've only had it happen once where the pharmacy didn't have enough of the pain med the script called for, but they gave me what they had and called me back when the rest was delivered to the pharmacy. Their store is in the same building as my PM, so I didn't suspect there would be a problem. Just a pain in the rear driving to another state to get my meds.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement