Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniated Disc Please help.

marentes133mmarentes133 Posts: 6
edited 11/23/2014 - 9:08 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi my name is chris 19 years old and starting in july I was diagnosed with a Herniated disc, the way it started was I used to work hard labor/lift heavy and play soccer for a few months and wouldnt feel no pain or symptoms then one day I woke up with this horrible pain in my back that would travel down my leg and still hurts me a little bit to this day. Over the past 4 months my symptoms slowly went away and I had full mobility to move but for the past 3 Days ive been in much more pain for no reason. and it sucks so much that all of this had to happen right as my insurance expired about 2 months ago, I was scheduled to see if I needed surgery but my insurance expired. I need some advice to get through this I just wanna play soccer again with no pain. Will my herniated disc ever heal on its own?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • If I could have a conversation with my 19 year old self (she was an awesome partyer!) I would say that your spine is the only connection between your legs and your upper body. I didn't know how the spine worked and I took it for granted that I could always bend. One day I was out with sciatica for 2 weeks. Got better. Though nothing of it. Fast forward to 2014 spring. Lifted too many heavy things. Didn't use the right form. Didn't listen to mu body. That body got better. I was in physio and on Celebrex. No big deal. But that pain wasn't messing around. Months of sleepless nights. Months unable to tie my shoes and I did get better.
    Then one day and without pain my disc extruded on it's own to the level you see on the MRI that is my pic.
    It didn't hurt but I felt like I had a stroke in my bottom right.
    It took me weeks to move through the channels of our broken healthcare system. Time I didn't have.
    I'm lucky in that over 6 more months I was able to gather everything I had inside and learn how to walk again and deal with my nerve damage. The surgery helped me.
    You are a long way from any of that. But your spine is telling you something serious. Money won't fix it when it's too far gone. You can only live with what you can do.
    Do you have more living to do? Then get into a certified spine surgeon. Get your MRI. Get into physio that knows what they're doing and get your 6 pack back with safe for you excercises. See if your hospital physio will take you or refer you.
    I didn't have the Internet when I was 19 (well... Forums like this didn't exist) there was only family telling me I was too young... Blah blah blah. I'm too young for menopause too but here I am. We're all different. Look after yourself and I wish you the best.
  • advertisement
  • Spiny_Malone said:
    If I could have a conversation with my 19 year old self (she was an awesome partyer!) I would say that your spine is the only connection between your legs and your upper body. I didn't know how the spine worked and I took it for granted that I could always bend. One day I was out with sciatica for 2 weeks. Got better. Though nothing of it. Fast forward to 2014 spring. Lifted too many heavy things. Didn't use the right form. Didn't listen to mu body. That body got better. I was in physio and on Celebrex. No big deal. But that pain wasn't messing around. Months of sleepless nights. Months unable to tie my shoes and I did get better.
    Then one day and without pain my disc extruded on it's own to the level you see on the MRI that is my pic.
    It didn't hurt but I felt like I had a stroke in my bottom right.
    It took me weeks to move through the channels of our broken healthcare system. Time I didn't have.
    I'm lucky in that over 6 more months I was able to gather everything I had inside and learn how to walk again and deal with my nerve damage. The surgery helped me.
    You are a long way from any of that. But your spine is telling you something serious. Money won't fix it when it's too far gone. You can only live with what you can do.
    Do you have more living to do? Then get into a certified spine surgeon. Get your MRI. Get into physio that knows what they're doing and get your 6 pack back with safe for you excercises. See if your hospital physio will take you or refer you.
    I didn't have the Internet when I was 19 (well... Forums like this didn't exist) there was only family telling me I was too young... Blah blah blah. I'm too young for menopause too but here I am. We're all different. Look after yourself and I wish you the best.
    I regret to this day that i didn't listen to my body aswell. When i started working with my dad in summer of 2013 that's where it all started. My lifting form was bad and i kept lifting wrong and playing soccer right after work. Everyday for 10 months. In the beginning I remember getting a feeling in my back as if it was a minor pinch but i didn't listen and as time went by my leg would and have a pinch aswell but i still ignored it because i thought "it'll go away like most injurys do ill just work through it" boy was i wrong then i woke up with a horrible stabbing pain in my back that i couldn't move! I told my father that i cant work heavy anymore but he persuaded me to keep working and i kept playing soccer till i stopped in april 2014. Now its February 2015 and i have shown some progress i do certain things i couldn't do anymore i could bend over but only using my legs but the pain creeps up on me. I think im healing from this but it will take some time. Its hard to cope with this. I have not gone to the doctor since September 2014 but i did get an mri done and i do have the results.
  • I went for a few years with back pain, saw chiro after chiro and never got diagnosed properly. When I finally decided enough was enough at 25 I went to a surgeon, by that time my back was TOO far gone. I got the surgery and couldn't be happier, yes I still have nerve pain but my back is now stable! I highly recommend going to see a certified spine surgeon, getting the MRI and seeing what they recommend. Surgery may not be your only option at this point.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement