Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Not quite sure what to do

As everyone knows that follows my post know the issues i have had with work, well here we go again, Twice now on the day to see the Dr my boss comes to my office and tells me she cant let me go. I finally qualified for FMLA again last month. My Dr who is fully aware of the issues at work filled out FMLA paper work for Dr appointments and flare ups. I gave my boss the paper work over 30 days ago. Usually once corp receives the paper work they send a letter allowing or disallowing the FMLA. I have heard nothing so I called HR. Not to my surprise they were never received, my boss just filed them away in her drawer. I have a Dr appointment today and without corp. approval I could lose my job due to no time left for the rest of the year vacation wise. Since this was my bosses error ( I think done on purpose) would you still go? I am in no position to lose my job. Twice now I was to have a cast put on my foot from a break, we were waiting for the swelling to go down. What would you do? I plan on calling corp this morning and explaining the issue with the cast , they are aware she never turned them in, I was asked to personally bring them to corp, myself since she had not done her job, she also did not sign off on the paper work. The FMLA is not to miss weeks of work just a few hours to get a walking cast put on. The paper work was done to protect my rights due to illness, I was not one bit surprised to learn she never turned them in. Ever since my back surgery i have received nothing but issues from her. At what point do I say enough is enough and file a formal complaint. I have avoided doing this due to the fact that every employee that has done so is usually fired shortly after. Amy suggestions on how you would handle this knowing your job could be on the line?
Susan
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522
    After all that has happened to you in the workplace, I would start not to trust anyone.

I would carry every piece of documentation, every conversation, every mail directly to the HR folks at corporate. And then follow up with them to make sure they received and understood your situation.

They sure are doing a job at making it hard for you and setting you up to potential lose your job. Being in management a number of years, I know that when someone is earmarked to be let go, every excuse every thing will be turned up to justify that.

To deal with that, as I said, trust no one and handle everything yourself.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    I mean everything from being shoved at work, drug tested and passed but not allowed to return for almost 3 weeks. I go over and beyond my job ....why? so i remain a valuable employee. Just a few days ago with the US going to convert to the the ICD 10 ( we are the only country not using the new diagnosis system) I spent 2 weeks doing 67 hrs of college work to prepare for the changes. Come to find out I am the only one in the whole corporation that has done this. This company paid for the training but yet no one has utilized the opportunity to be prepared. Out of thousands of employees i am the only one. What did it get me ? a bonus of a couple hundred dollars. I take my job serious and am good at what I do. At this point it is a personal issue between my boss and I, why I do not know. That is the million dollar question. My doctors are very happy with me, 3 of them. They have made more money in the 4 years I have been there since they joined the network. Are there problems with people are dropping like flies and losing their jobs
  • advertisement
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 12/19/2014 - 3:26 AM
    I would hand deliver any and all documents to the HR human resources department from here on out. I would also follow up any delivery of documents via email confirmation of when you dropped them off, to whom and what the paperwork was regarding. I would also file a complaint against the manager or whomever she is that is deliberately creating road blocks to you being able to take care of yourself medically.
    I would also consult with a lawyer and I would make HR aware of it , since this is a pattern of established behavior and is putting your position in peril...........if they want to play dirty, play dirty as well but cover your buttocks as you do.
    I know it is time to start playing dirty but I am not that kind of person. I guess it is time to become that person. I think what bothers me the most is the hard hours and work that I do for her, she recognizes not one bit of it. There is another employee at a different practice but in the same building that she treats the same. The big joke of the offices is that it is ok for everyone else except for Susan and Vickie, so yes it is very obvious to other employees. I actually asked other employees is it that obvious and the response I received was " you need to video tape it and just take a look for yourself, but then again she more then likely has the video cameras disconnected to cover her own butt on this issue and many others. The day I was shoved, she stated she found that hard to believe so I told her to get the video , the incident happened directly in front of the camera. She just let the situation go. Within 10 minutes her and the employee were in her office laughing so loud they could be heard thru out the practice. I can imagine that conversation. I am in no position to lose my job so I am so unsure as to what direction to go with this. Continue to allow the harassment or get everyone involved. I have attempted to transfer but my docs basically begged me not to go. They are wonderful to me and are a pleasure to work for. One doc knows how interested I am in reading medical books, so he brings me one about once a month ( in secret) just to satisfy my thirst for knowledge, Would I ever be a Dr no, but understanding how the human body works and the disease processes will do nothing but make me and my docs job much easier once the new diagnosis policies go into effect. I will call it like it is, my feelings are hurt and do not understand why or what I have done, If there is a reason I would love to know because you can bet it is a misunderstanding, I have always been taught to respect elders and bosses, I have followed these rules since becoming of working age at 16. I have even flat out asked her if there was something I have done to upset her, could we talk it out and put a end to the issues and she walks away so there is no use trying to work it out, she shows no desire.
    Susan
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522
    This may be the time to hire a lawyer.
    It appears your mgr and the others like to play dirty
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
    edited 12/19/2014 - 11:59 PM
    I believe a atty is going to be the only way to go from here. Ive done all I can to try to mend this working relationship
    Susan
  • I am like you, was brought up the same way. But , at the same time, I also believe that you have done everything you can , to fix/address the problem, with your manager, and play by the rules, so now, you need to protect yourself, first, and secondly, your position and indirectly , the rest of your coworkers who could also become targets of her and what it sounds like, some of her cronies.
    Her calling in the other person who pushed you into her office and then laughing, sounds to me, like there is some serious game playing going on, and maybe even encouragement with this individual.....so you need to protect yourself from a hostile work environment, and at the same time, others you work with from the same thing.
    Have you ever discussed with the other doctors, whom she also works for, what she is doing? What do they recommend other than you staying? I know that a few times where there has been an issue with a staff member, regarding something at a doctors office, I complained directly to the doctors, who then addressed the issue with the staff member.
    I was in an office one time, and a new office manager was hired, she belittled one of the older staff members right in the waiting room, overheard by all of the patients, then compounded the issue by calling another doctors office and stating loud enough for all of us to hear, that the office worker was incompetent and from then on, she would be "handling " any contact with the other office.......I was furious, and immediately told the doctors that not only was she was out of line, but totally inappropriate to address another co worker in front of the patients, and to bash them on the phone to another practice was unthinkable........she did not stay long as office manager after that one.
    They do not care for her. 2 doctors have called in her supervisor to discuss what a horrible manager she is. Put it this way , the same employee that shoved me also called one of the Phy. a ( no cussing allowed so we will just say a female dog). with no repercussions at all. My boss plays the gay card. She states she is targeted by the Drs for her lifestyle. Within the last 4 months we have had 1 person quit, 2 long term employees transfer to other locations due to her . Her supervisor called her and wanted to know why and what is going on that everyone is leaving. At this same time I had also put in for a transfer. So corp knows about issues but why nothing is being done is beyond me. At the time I had put in for a transfer she came to my office and asked if i was leaving because of her, my response was " you tell me why I am leaving, you know the answer to that question". The mothership as we call it knows of the issues,not all but most still nothing is done. I go to work daily and go to my office and stay there unless I am called out to help with a patient. My only hope is that corp has hired a new person and told her to start cleaning house and managers are dropping like flies. I am just waiting. It is now the end of the year so I will qualify for 4 weeks vacation the first of the year so i fully expect her to send me for another drug screen hoping ill fail. which i will not. Which brings me to another questions. Last year after my drug screen the Dr told her which meds I was taking and prescribed. Is this legal? To me it is a HIPPA violation.
    Susan
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 12/22/2014 - 6:37 AM
    I am not sure, you would need to check your employee handbook or human resources to find out if she has the job specs to require her being told.
    You really need to talk to an attorney about a hostile work environment......I am betting that she is using her sexual preferences as protection from being fired, which is why she is making the comments that she is making regarding her lifestyle.
advertisement