Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Abbreviated text talk

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
edited 12/21/2015 - 6:12 AM in New Member Introductions
This has becoming a problem for many members. We are an international site. When members here start to use the abbreviated text talk, the shortcuts used on the iphone or internet, it can present a problem of understanding for some.

Abbreviated
Hey bro[/u], how did[u] u [/u]like that show [u] cuz [/u] it made me [u] lol [/u] so I purchased the video [u]4u

Normal
Hey, name of person how did you like that show, because it made me laugh out loud, so I purchased the video for you.

Now this may sound simple and innocent. And it is, nothing wrong with the way the abbreviated language is used, but save it for outside these forums. One of the purpose of these forums
is to communicate and discuss various spinal problems, get input, etc. When you put a barrier in place, you only are going to minimize the benefits you can receive.

We would appreciate the use of normal standard language in your posts. There are enough Spinal acronyms that can get confusing, dont add to it.
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    edited 12/18/2014 - 6:58 AM
    And it will help older folks like me, who aren't up to date with the new language the younger generation is using!
  • kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
    edited 12/18/2014 - 12:40 PM
    These abbreviations are not only difficult for non-English speakers, but also for us old fogies, who are not used to texting, where these are routinely used. Yes, I am 78, and a texting virgin! I have never, ever, and don't intend to, just on principle.
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    oop's, I just did it didn't I?
    Anyway kin pain, you are not alone. I'm catching up to you in age and I don't text either.
    Ranger
  • When you can write poems so eloquently, who needs texting, right?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
    I picked up an Iphone about a year ago. To this day, IF I have to text, and there have been valid occasions, I use complete sentences.
    (could be a lot of misspellings) I have never and will not use the short-handed-text language.

The last shorthand I ever recognized as valid was Greggs

Remember stenography! or better dictaphones!
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    kinpain & Ron,
    I couldn't agree more.
    Ranger
  • I think that is a fantastic idea. Sometimes I can't keep up with all the new abbreviations and that makes something harder to read.
  • Thank You Ron, for making valid points regarding abbreviated "text talk". Having an 18 year old son and many of his friends in and around my home a lot of the time, I find myself guilty of having picked up that bad habit. There's no excuse either, as I have multiple university degrees, and I frequently correct their English...another habit that is probably not quite polite, no matter how much I cringe when they misuse the English language. Pat in NorCal
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
    of members that refused or totally ignored this thread!.

Abbreviated text is not proper for this site. I've tried to explain over and over why. This is an international site and the member ages range from 11 to 90. Many people do not understand these abbreviated text., which in turns makes them stop reading the post.

If anyone has the time to make a post , then they also have the time to use complete words - no excuse not to.

We have a couple of choices on how to handle this in the future:
    • - Edit any post that uses the abbreviated text. This will take time- Post a list of members who do this on a regular basis.- Un-publish any post that uses abbreviated text.
    Just today I read several posts and I saw u used over a dozen times! And some of this was from a long time member who should know better.

Please dont make the moderation of the forums harder. This is really a simple simple thing for everyone to do.

Stop using abbreviated text - use complete words
  • You guys are aging yourselves :) but I agree
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
advertisement