Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Concentration

I am 6.5 weeks post op TLIF and laminectomy.....has anyone experienced loss of concenrtration while recovering...I know pain meds dont help with this, but its hard to stay focused for long periods of time. Anyone else experience this?

Desiree
Desiree

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
Spondylolithesis (congenital)
DDD
advertisement

Comments

• I have the same issue, but I banged my head pretty hard during my accident. I know that some meds, such as Lyrica, can create memory issues and focus problems.... Other meds may cause similar symptoms/reactions, but I'm unsure as to what ones. Perhaps making a list and checking it twice (LOL) then posting it for one of the Gurus to see could answer your question :)

Best of luck
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • BronsterMonsterBBronsterMonster Posts: 9
    edited 12/31/2014 - 2:04 PM
    I too have a similar issue after L5/S1 ALIF. I was told by my surgeon last week that it's in part due to recovery from the anaesthetic in combination with the pain medication. It is getting a bit better. Initially I was finding I couldn't concentrate enough to read a novel. Now I can read a few pages here and there. I usually require a bit of a break though!
    Good luck!
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for your post. Things are progressing each day and I can concentrate a lot more than I could last week...just in time, going back to work on Monday ;)

Desiree
    Desiree

DDD
  • I joke around at work that the anesthesia killed my brain cells when I cant concentrate or complete my thoughts. I find it frustrating though because it makes me sound like an airhead. It seems like it has been worse than ever since surgery
    Tracie C
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    has been a bit of a problem over the years.. But the worse is my short term memory. I can remember things back to when I was a child.
    But yesterday, who knows.
    There is some connections between nerve medications like Neurontin and Lyrica that have some negative impacts in that area.

Nothing concrete, but my gut says it is......
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 01/03/2015 - 6:44 PM
    Pain alone can cause concentration/memory problems. I also had an anesthesia reaction and it caused me to be very out of it for a while after surgery. Now I'm not dealing with as much concentration as I am memory, but sometimes it's both. I have to write everything down because I forget things easily. Our bodies go through a lot during spinal surgery so you'd be amazed at how much it can throw things out of whack as a result. I now have a low thyroid level after my most recent surgery . My symptoms have mostly been related to the low thyroid after the initial anesthetic issue resolved. Thankfully I'm slowly improving since starting my Thyroid meds. I'm finding out it's not uncommon to have those problems you speak of after undergoing a major spinal surgery.

LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • ddubov67dddubov67 Posts: 28
    edited 01/04/2015 - 6:45 AM
    Thanks for all of your input...and I am glad I'm not alone in the recovery process and with the lack of concentration. I do write everything or almost everything down. It is slowly getting better and I can concentrate a bit more, which is good because I need to go back to my very crazy job tomorrow where concentration is important. I was/am concerned about the concentration thing because I also have hypothyroidism AND mental pause (perimenopausal)...I wasnt sure if it was coming from the anethesia or if it was a combination of the the three... oh yeah and now the neurontin. My short term memory has been iffy for a long time ( I think, lol) compliments of two brief rounds of taking Topamax for migraines. Sometimes I am spot on and other times...I space out in the middle of a conversation or forget I said something. I do find this super frustrating when I want to remember certain things but beneficial and humorous because I just have to laught at it and go with it or it makes me crazy...

Desiree
    Desiree

DDD
  • I have to laugh about it too. I was always so on point with things and now it's much more difficult. If I didn't laugh it off it would only frustrate me more. My job is In the medical field so I need to be on top of things mentally. I know that hypothyroidism can cause a lot of hormonal imbalances including ones that affect memory, but you're also dealing with the menopause issue so you have a few things stacked against you. I've done reading and research on a regular basis to keep my brain stimulated. I'm hoping that helps along with getting my Thyroid level within normal range. It's hard to go from being on top of everything to forgetting what happened 5 minutes ago. I'm glad you're improving. I hope work goes well.

Good luck!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I'm in the same boat, memory and concentration both seem worse. Let's all hope that it's reversible!
advertisement