Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New Need Help - ACFD Surgery

advertisement

Comments

• BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 04/14/2015 - 12:02 PM
    How long were you told to not drive? I am having sinle level ACDF in two weeks and my neurosurgeon told me I could drive in a week after surgery. Sounds insane to me.
  • how did they decide to do ACDF? you were originally talking about posterior surgery
  • advertisement
  • BlessedMom74 said:
    How long were you told to not drive? I am having sinle level ACDF in two weeks and my neurosurgeon told me I could drive in a week after surgery. Sounds insane to me.
    Wow that's really soon. Even after I'm cleared to drive I'm thinking maybe I should stay local only until I start to fuse.
    I'm worried about getting in a car accident and the bone implant being knocked out of place.
    I'm going to bring this up to my doctor once he clears me to drive and see what he thinks.
    Maybe ask your doctor about the same concern. Best of luck with your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • BlessedMom74 said:
    Wow that's really soon. Even after I'm cleared to drive I'm thinking maybe I should stay local only until I start to fuse.
    I'm worried about getting in a car accident and the bone implant being knocked out of place.
    I'm going to bring this up to my doctor once he clears me to drive and see what he thinks.
    Maybe ask your doctor about the same concern. Best of luck with your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • Lucky13LLucky13 Posts: 13
    edited 04/15/2015 - 2:55 PM

• advertisement
  • joshkim178 said:
    how did they decide to do ACDF? you were originally talking about posterior surgery
    They did a CT Scan and found that they would be able to do it anteriorly being there was no bone issues.
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 04/16/2015 - 6:35 AM
    I know right! When he said a week my jaw dropped to the floor. I read in a lot of different sites, no driving two weeks and you can't even be a passenger for 2 weeks. He said one week because I will have hardware. I think I am going to plan on having help so I won't have the need to drive for at least 2 weeks. One week just seems too soon to me.
    Thank you for the well wishes. I am nervous but ready to be on the road to feeling better. It's been a long 18 months.

Lucky13 said:
  • I plan to go back to work 10 days after the surgery in which I'll be driving. My surgeon said a lot of people who work in an office go back after a week but he's writing me off for up to a month. I plan to just see how I feel when the time comes.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • I'm giving myself 12 solid days before I have to drive. I cant imagine I will be feeling ready and comfortable to get behind the wheel after a week.
  • I have started physical therapy three weeks ago and have three weeks left. I'm getting some body strength and mobility of my neck back with PT. I have also been going on almost daily long walks or walking up and down the stairs in my house for exercise. The incision area is still regaining feeling but is a little better. The tingling sensation I have throughout my body/hands seems to be getting better. The tingling seems to linger in my hands a lot of times, even now as I type. The tingling sensation throughout my body is much more intense but only happens for about a second at a time. I noticed it happens often when I look down, especially while walking. I asked one of my surgeons about this and he said it is a result of my spinal cord injury and may or may not go away : ( I had some hand tingling about a week before the surgery but not the body tingling (my arms also started to fall asleep while sleeping about a week before the surgery, but have not again after). But my surgeons were electronically monitoring my spinal cord during surgery and there showed to be no issues from the surgery. My right palm side up forearm also seems to have a slightly different sensation in an area than it did before I was injured. On the plus side I do not appear to have any muscle weakness from the injury (although my muscles have atrophied from inactivity). Does anyone know if this tingling is bad? My physical therapist told me it was okay as long as there is no muscle weakness.

Also, my surgeons have told me once fused I will be able to regain all activities with no precautions, I am getting teary eyed as I type this : )
advertisement