Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR ADVICE PLEASE

Comments

• the surgery is usually outpatient. i just got my implant 2 weeks ago. i was beat up pretty good but after a couple of days you start to feel a little better. you should be able to enjoy christmas.

there is a new forum just for stimulators: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/spinal-cord-stimulation

good luck.

dave
  • Hi my name is claudia and I have nerve pain in my right buttocks and right leg.Been to pm and had injections and nothing worked.This has been going on since april of this year.He gave me the video on scs and told me to consider it and gave me some nerve pain medicine which does not work.So i'm going to try the trial scs but I'm alittle scared.I go back in feb.
  • advertisement
  • Welcome to Spine Health.
    There is nothing to fear about the trial It is just to find out if the SCS works for you. It does not work for everyone but most are happy with their SCS.
    If you wil type SCS into the search box at the top of the page you will find just about anything you want to know about the SCS.
    Best of luck to you.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I had my SCS installed in June of 08 to help me with the neuropathic pain that I had after my 5 spinal surgeries. The SCS has been my savior! I can actually walk without having pins and needle on my legs, I love it!
    The mechanical or movement pain is still there though... and for that my PM Doc is thinking of having me go for the Intrathecal Pain Pump trial in February.
    I am a bit sick of taking medications every single day, so hopefully the IPP will be the one device that will elliminate my need for oral medications.... So, good luck with your decision and I hope that you can get one soon!

Tipper
  • I had an SCS placed last August after 3 years of trying every other alternative. It is the only thing that has given me even a modicum of relief.

Unfortunately 2 1/2 months later it had to be removed due to a rampant staph infection. I am healing and the infection appears to be gone. I had a PICC line after the removal and had to self administer IV antibiotics every 8 hours for 8 weeks. Cefazolin, Rifampin, Levaquin and Flagyl.

My PM and surgeon will again talk about putting a new one in after I am healed and infection free for 6 months.

I highly recommend you go through the trial, what other medical procedure can you "try before you by"?

Good luck

Curtis Myers
  • advertisement
  • Im one yr out nearly to the day today from Dynesys at L4-5 L5-S1 w/ Cages. i was on a fast track and feelign great post op, i belive i returned to work to soon @ 6 Wks! Now im suffering from LBP and some siatica again!. knowing there is nothing left to cause the pain i am assuming the nerves are still inflamed or permt damage. I am also exp Hip pain we thought it might be SI pain but i have had every injection you could think of in that area. And its not the hip no matter how they move me it doesnt recreate what i feel at the hip area! I am hoping that the SCS helps me out, just a lil would be nice. I cant Hardly get out of bed with out the hip pain and LBP keeping me from getting out! I have to roll to my stomack then to my knees and slide each leg off the bed and push myself to a stand up Position! Which sucks becouse my wife and i Just had a lil girl 8 months ago so when she crys at night. its hard to get to her. and its hard to bend down and pick her up from crib unless she reaches for me.. I do feel much better then before the Dynesys system but there are new issues. Maybe i had them before but the back pain was masking this new pain? i dontknow but my QTY of life was just a trade off from one set of pain to another! (the hip pain is not from Bone graph! i used Bone Bank) has anyone had a similar issue and did u have SCS? Did it help?
  • i don't have the same problem as you but similar. my nerve damage is symptomatic in my lower legs and feet. i do have si problems and my fusion (same levels as you) exasperated that problem. i have found that walking keeps the si joints in decent shape and i had a stimulator implanted back in november to cover my legs. the stimulator doesn't get everything, but combined with my prescriptions i'm doing a lot better now. you can type scs in the search box at the top to bring up past threads and you can also peruse the spinal cord stimulation topic area.

if you have any questions, feel free to pm and i'll do my best to answer them.

dave
  • trater said:
    i Tony~
    I live in the US in a pretty small Texas town... My PM doc is the absolute BEST! As time has passed, I have become more accustomed to the feeling of the stimulation. I wasn't sure I could get ever get used to it, but each day I would turn up the stimulation level a smidge and it made it easier to get used to. I am still taking pain meds, but seem to have much better coverage than before. Recently I had to make a long trip to a big hospital (six hour drive) with my dad- he had to have quad bypass surgery- and I only stopped once during the drive. We spent two weeks at the hospital for surgery and recovery, and the only time I had trouble with my pain was when I had to help my dad get out of bed or back in to bed. I never would have been able to do this BEFORE the implant. I had high hopes that I would be able to get off the pain meds, but it looks like for now I'll continue to take them. My activity level has increased so much that I have a tendency to over do it. It's almost like being locked up for ten years and then finally being released! I felt like I needed to get out and do things that I couldn't do before.
    I would so recommend the scs to anyone that is thinking about getting one. Feel free to send me a private message ANY time.I'll keep up with your e-mail address too. Good luck!
    I just had the SCS implanted this last 3-3. Why does it hurt still. Ths is the fourth surgery on my spine do to a work. In any case this all happened march o5. The SCS has taken a good 50% pain away. I still have pain and it stil taken meds just not as much as before. When they installed the paddle in the dorsal colom of my spine they did it at T-11. I know before this I had a huge bulge there and now it hurts more then anything. Sometimes hard to breath. I refuse to go under the knife again. This SCS implant was to be 1 day in hospital turned out to be 4. Does this sound like something you might be able to adivse on. I'm at the end of the rope here and feeling like this is how it will be and deal with it. Thanks Ron
  • Project1 said:
    I had a Medtronic SCS implanted 1 year ago this week and it saved my sanity! After 4 failed back surgeries (including fusion), and a neurosurgeon 'acidentally' chopping up the nerve roots to my left leg, I lived in constant agony. I couldn't sit, walk, lay down, clean, cook, sleep, drive, without pain. Everything was painful. I am 35 years old and a stay at home mom to 2 young girls - I can't exactly take 'time off'. I had the SCS trial done and cried when they took it out because I loved it so much!

Although I continued on serious pain medication for several months after the implant, I have gradually weaned off them and am now on NOTHING for pain.

I would warn anyone considering it that it is not a cure. Do not expect to be pain free. (It took care of about 60% of my pain.) It's like having a headache instead of a migraine - at least you can finally function. And you have to charge it, play with the remote to get the settings right, take extra time at the airport, sit with Medtronics rep. while they help you get the right stimulation in the right areas. But when you live with chronic pain for any amount of time, you will agree it's worth it to get relief!!!

I had exactly the same pain as you after my SCS implant. It took at least a good 60%of my pain away as well although were they put the paddle was at my T-11 witch was bulging bad but not herniated. The pain is much better in the leg and lowe back but hurts lie hell still up by the paddle. Any ideas I refuse to eve go under the knife again this was number four since 3-05 any ideas?
  • I had my permanant implant done on July 7 09. I did extensive research on the system and basically knew what to expect. This helped me out alot during my mental eval. My problem was i thought in my mind that it was going to be a cure all. It does releive at least 50% of your pain. Turns it into more or a discomfort than pain. I was somewhat sore after my implant. But i made myself get up and moving around little by little the next day. After about 1 week i was moving around great. The thing to remember is if you do not feel you are getting much relief ask to have a reprogramming session. I was reprogrammed every 2 or 3 weeks for the first six months. Now im on a every 3 month appt with my PM. My meds have been cut drastically. I used to be on 3600mg Neurotin, 120 mg Cymbalta, 120mg Topamax, 60mg amytripiline daily. Now im only on 300mg Neurotin, 120mg Cymbalta and 30mg Ambien. I can actually get a good night sleep now. I am still working full time and can make it through the whole day. Now i do pay for it some at night if i over due it. I have always been a go getter and hardly ever sat still. The hardest part now is have to learn how to pace myself. The SCS works and it actually feels great not to be in a haze all day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.