Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Input please--delaying surgery

Comments

• Luckily for you (and myself), the majority of that function falls on C1-C4 (left to right). I've pretty much gained all of it back.... My problem is up and down as the majority of my injuries and fusion are lower cervical and upper thoracic..... I believe that up and down will be affected more for you as well. Remember that we are all different, but not expecting some sort of irreparable range of motion wouldn't be realistic as it is a fusion surgery remember. My advice to you is to do exactly what your Doctor says and when you start physiotherapy, do all the exercises set out by your PT.

In my opinion, I think it's going to take a lot more than 6 weeks, but that indeed is the magical question.... How long will it take? Well, the sky is the limit and everyone is different. A few months seems more realistic to me, but that's me and despite going through it, I'm not you!

As for pain meds? It has been 14 months and I am still on minimal amounts of narcotics. Unfortunately, my NS was right when he said there may be some residual pain... Today I am dealing with chronic pain. Though I am using many means of pain management, I still do need to take pills once a day. I may be on small doses for the rest of my life. It's something I hope to beat someday, but for now, I need to take small amounts every 24 hrs to help manage that pain....

You are right when you say this site is a God send. There are some good people here going through exactly what you are going through and the good news is that we're only a message away!

Sending healing vibes your way,

-Doug
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Dcs90DDcs90 Posts: 74
    edited 03/03/2015 - 9:39 AM
    Thank again for all the info. I think it is great that people who are post surgery take the time to come back here and reach out to those just starting the journey. I sure hope to do the same. Did you "fuse" correctly? And if so, how long did it take? My surgeon was honest that with this many levels that is the biggest concern, and that if one level didn't fuse it would require a "small" posterior operation to fuse from that side.
  • advertisement
  • yes, i was fully fused within 3 months, which is quick. it can take up to a full year...... also note that it will still take a year to be 100% (whatever that number means), so be careful for the first year..... and please, no smoking!

for those that can't stop, i found a link here on spine-health, but please try to stop.....

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/stop-smoking/achieving-a-spinal-fusion-smokers

here is another link for smokers!

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/stop-smoking/quitting-smoking-a-spinal-fusion
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Seeing my doctor tomorrow for Wellbutrin prescription. I had good results in the past with this. My surgeon has also ordered a bone growth stimulator to use after surgery. Maybe most importantly, I have fully explained dangerous of not quitting to my husband. He can be counted on to do anything short of tying me to the recliner. Lol. Of course, I realize the decision has to be mine. I won't lie, it is hard with the stress of preparing for surgery.
advertisement