Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Golf after fusion????

advertisement

Comments

• I’m thinking this really should be answered by ones’ surgeon AND more importantly which procedure you had done, and which levels and number of discs were fused... as a golf swing ‘torques’ at different places with each person and  swing and also I would think that an upper lumbar vs say a lower S1 would be 2 different types of pressures or torques and twists placed on the vertebrae/discs and what’s holding it all together. The gent above who said he was on the course after 3 months (12 weeks!?!) IMHO is crazy. This is major surgery and bone heals differently for everyone along with the hardware installed as said. 

My neurosurgeon said I’d be able to golf and ski again after a year. He said the full fusion (assuming it all does mend and envelope the implant and grafts and fused areas 100% properly) it’ll actually be stronger than your previous deteriorating disc(s). 

I had 3 XLIF performed on my L2/L3/L4 and was totally pain free in that area after about 10 weeks.  Sadly I still have a tear in my S1 that’s bulging that will eventually need surgery too (DDD, sciatica and stenosis) as that’s now killing me but nothing like the lumbar pain I had for 2 years prior. Point is, my back muscles are still intact as XLIF is done thru your sides and have 3 carbon “cages” anchored now with 6-8 screws merely there to hold the cages in place whilst the new bone grafts grows and fuses. After the pain and hell I went thru with this surgery - there’s no way I’d risk swinging a club at 12 weeks. I love to golf and know I’ll be able to shoot in the high 80”s again. But just wanna get back on the course (as well as the slopes here in CO) but I also never wanna go thru these surgeries ever again by rushing something or doing something stupid. The S1 will be open back but that’s years off yet as said. But if you break down your golf swing the lumbar region is where it’s twisting most (depending how you play and how you anchor your left foot and leg) - Look at Tiger and why he now has so many back and knee problems compared to Trevino and other pros of the 60’s/70’s/80’s. They played artful golf and made ‘shots’ whereas Tiger and these guys working out and bulking up today (which is fine and great) but they’re in that just “grip it and rip it” mentality and their lower backs and knees are now paying the price for not moving their left leg as much as the old timers did. 

Anyway I had my 3 XLIF discs done in FEB/2017 and just booked a month trip in Europe for March/April 2018 to go play golf and lay on a beach after 2 yrs of hell. I was gonna push it and go down under over Xmas and play where it was warm over Christmas but my doc said that’s only 9 months and you’ll not be fully healed yet (3 years is actually the total total total fusion graft healing time) but I’m thinking it’s 90% there after 6-9 months. But just not worth ripping screws or cages or grafts out for a round of golf. Of course YMMV depending on the procedure done and number of discs fused etc. 

Either way. Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.