Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help!!! Considering Axialif for L5-S1, out patient surgery what to expect

Comments

• Mark,

I have spoken to my pain management doctor regarding this surgery and he tells me this is a minimally invasive surgery and like with any other back surgery it either works or it doesn't.

I have around and around with this type of surgery and I will be meeting with my surgeon on Wednesday to find out what I will need to pre-op and post-op and schedule this surgery. I would much rather have the least invasive surgery than to have by back opened up and experience weeks of pain.

I have seen all the videos concerning this procedure and I honestly believe this is the surgery for me.

I'll let you know what the doc says on Wednesday.

Lili
  • Lili I will be following this thread with great interest.

My ns just suddenly retired after getting kicked in the head by one of his horses. He no longer feels comfortable cutting on someone. Sorry for his terrable accident. Now it's time to look for another ns. I'm really intriged by this AXIALIF surgery. I'm not planning on doing anything until winter when my work slows way down & can afford the time off. So PLEASE keep us informed of the outcome.
  • advertisement
  • I went to my surgeon last week and he wanted a new MRI. I asked for an open MRI as I am claustrophobic, I was told that open MRI's do not have the resolution that closed MRI's have :jawdrop: now what... I was given prescription for 3 valium and thank goodness for those. Those MRI tubes are tight..

Anyway, after viewing the new MRI it shows that I do have two bulging discs and one is pressing on the nerve that affects my left side with pain and tingling down the left leg and foot.. right side is not as bad.

I now am having the TLIF and am scheduled for surgery on Oct. 7th. I must admit is a relief to have the surgery date set. My doctor says that after 12 years of this getting progressivly worse and doing everything that i possible could. According to my doctors I will have relief from the tingling and leg pain and the pain in my back at butt will be diminished.

So just as I wrapped my mind with have a minimal invasive surgery I now have to have 2 discs fused and a hospital stay of at least 3 days.

Now my questions have become what to expect for TLIF surgery and post-op stuff!!
    :''( =((

Lili

• Lili - sorry about the major surgery vs. minimal news.

As far as post op must haves, go look under the post that phatswimmer just posted, I just posted the HUGE list that I was given before my surgery when I asked the same question.
  • You'll be in alot of pain immediately after surgery but you'll probably have a self administering IV pain pump which usually helps a great deal. There's a huge difference in recovery time for a regular fusion. Some ppl get along excellent ad some ppl have some problems. You will have to have someone help take care of you for at least a couple weeks.

Good luck with your surgery,
    Christina :)
  • advertisement
  • My surgeon was going over my case again the last few days and he is recommending an AxiaLIF. After discussing it with him at some length and reading up on the procedure all day today I think this is the way I want to go.

My surgery is scheduled for 9/23/08. I was all set to be in the hospital for 2 - 4 days and out of work for 6 plus weeks. If what he is says and what I have read is true it sounds like he will discharge me the day after surgery and I could be back to work within three weeks.

He said he has had good success with the procedure. My fingers are crossed.
  • 9 hours to go before the AxiaLIF. :)
  • I hope everything goes very well for you and that you recover quickly!!
  • I was in and out of the hospital in 24 hours. I have very little pain. I've had hangovers that produced more pain than this surgery. The surgeon said to bend a bit and I find it very easy to do. The first mornig I was home the cat puked on the bathroom carpet and I was able to clean it up. :O

I've been walking inside quite a bit. No walker or cane is needed. It's been pouring rain so I can't go out yet. Honestly I feel I could walk a mile. I feel like I could drive. I just hope the surgery works and I can get back to a normal life style.
  • Hi,

I was on this site about 6 months ago to discuss an ongoing back problem. I have learned a lot since then.

About 3 years ago, suffered a massive disc rupture at L2-L3 due to an accident and had a micro-discectomy. The symptom was loss muscle use of my left quadracep.

After the surgery, I had a lot of lower back pain, and while the left quad was now working (but due to 2 months of atrophy, needed rehab) but the lower back pain never went away.

One day about 3-4 months after the surgery, I leaned over to write something down on a table top, and it felt like I had been shot in the back. I fell to the ground. My left leg was pulsing pain, and my left foot was numb.

Long-story short, I had pinched a nerve in my L5-S1 pretty hard, spent months in pain, and ultimately had a corisone shot in the area which helped the inflamed nerve settle down, but now, I have continuous back pain and occasional numbness in the left foot (two outer toes, bottom of the heel)

I should note, that in the process of recovery, I have been doing a lot of core/trunk exercises and found that stretching my back when its in pain will result in a "pop" in the lower back which immediately removes the pain. Unfortunately, within a short period of sitting/standing, the pain comes back. I cannot drive, sit in a chair, or lift anything more than a few pounds without my foot going numb.

So, many MRI, xrays, CTscans, etc later, it turns out that I have spondethelisis in the L5-S1 and am looking at AxialIF.

I was hoping to see recovery stories in this thread. I saw a couple of people were looking at it, or had it done, but they disappeared. Maybe good news?
advertisement