Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Social security interview

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to say, or not say at my interview. I have an interview on Friday with my local SS office, and this is so important for me. I had to call in sick today, and don't think I can last much longer at my 20 hour a week job. I can't do anything for more than a few hours without my pain level reaching a 7-9 on the pain scale.

I have all the documents they requested. i.e. financial, medical, personal, etc., but don't know much about what to do beyond that.

Anyone who has jumped through these hoops, and has some insight would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance.
04/24/15
Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
---------
04/09/13
L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
----------
03/13/12
(PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
advertisement

Comments

• If you are going in to see the judge-Limit the amount of medication you take-just take enough so you don't have withdrawal-Let them see you in pain-how hard it is for you to sit, stand for any length of time and walk...etc....how the pain effects your thought process-let them see you struggle, sweat, squirm in pain.
    Good luck, I was lucky and was fast tract through the SSI process-not sure why-maybe because I worked for over 30yrs and paid my dues/taxes-, but, for what ever reason I was sure glad I was able to get disability when I did-otherwise I might have lost everything I worked for over the past 30 some-odd years-A good lawyer that specialized in that field didn't hurt either-sad you can't do it without one-because they sure take a big chunk out of the bottom line and then some....

If you are in the application process-get the paper work and file it-insuring all the "i" dotted and "t" crossed and any added paper work included-they are picky-one little mistake and they will/can toss the whole thing and never tell you about it, make sure you follow up and make sure they got everything too-Mine was lost a couple of times and had I not followed-up I would have had to start over since everything is time sensitive.

Most likely you will be denied the first time and that is common-once you get the denial letter-find a lawyer that specializes in disability-most lawyer won't help you until you get that first denial letter-Have copies and save any and all paper work you send and receive including the envelopes-

Make yourself a file and keep it organized-Any phone calls-be sure and write down when you called and who you talked to-I had a notebook that I wrote everything in when I talked to both SS and my lawyer-The faster you get things rolling the better-just stay on top of everything.

Again good luck,
  • I appreciate your input. Things are looking up and I got my case taken on by a disability attorney. I hope it goes through soon because I just had to quit my job. My back is getting worse from all the moving around I did.
    04/24/15
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • advertisement
  • Your welcome-I got approved in less than 12 months, however, my husband didn't even get a response for 4 years after he seen the judge-We have some friends that applied for disability that took over 3 years from start to finish-It can vary-but like I said, I got fast-tracked through the system for what ever reason-not really sure why I was able to get approved from start to finish in less than a year-I have heard horror stories from people while they waited-regarding how long it took and what they lost in the process...

Good luck, I hope you get through the system fast...
  • my suggestion to anyone now starting the application process: get your lawyer when you first apply. If you have substantial documentation and a lot of pain you may think it'll be a done deal. As someone said, almost everyone gets denied the first time. My suggestion is to get the lawyer before your application so you can hopefully avoid getting denied on your first application. I tried to suggest that to my cousin but he didn't listen. You don't have to accept getting denied. A lawyer can help ensure you don't get denied.
  • Hi! I am in the middle of my first time thru the disability process. I was denied on the original application, denied again on my reconsideration, and now waiting for a date for an admin law judge hearing. I currently do not have a lawyer, but am researching some in my area. One thing I did just find out, from a friend, was to go to my congressman for help with the process. Unfortunately I just found this out recently. This journey has been a long hard one, but eventually I will get thru it.
    Erin Roche
    L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy
    SCS implant in 2012
    plus much much more...
  • advertisement
  • When I went though the process for disability I was denied and went to see a Judge. When I got to that point I also got a lawyer. If a lawyer takes your case chances are you have a good chance of being approved ( the lawyer only gets paid if you are approved). I found my lawyer to be very helpful since he knew the judges and the type of questions I would be asked. If fact he even went over with me on what to wear to the hearing - only flat sole shoes, no short dresses and so on. Also if you are a Veteran the DAV and other service reps can also help with your SS disability claim and will do so for free.
advertisement