Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Selfie of Anterior Cervical fusion site

I know this is a strange request and maybe I am breaking rules of the forum. Sorry if I am. I would just love to see what a healed anterior cervical fusion site looks like? Having a 1 level c6-7 done next week and one of my friends asked me if I was having plastic surgery do the sutures. I have a wedding to go to 10 days post and already bought a pretty scarf so I can cover my Frankenstein scar. My Doc says he will use a crease in my neck on the opposite side of my problem I guess so the scar blends in. Just curious what it will look like. Thanks guys, Lisa
Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    edited 05/06/2015 - 2:08 AM
    My scar is barely noticeable. It's in the crease of my neck. If you look for it, you can see it. Otherwise, no one really notices it. At least, no one has told me that they see it.
  • Thanks that makes me feel better. Good if you have a crease in the right spot.
    Lisa
  • advertisement
  • TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 280
    edited 05/06/2015 - 1:21 PM
    But at 10 days post op, you'll probably have steri strips, and I had a suture that they pulled at 14 days. I also had a hard collar. Does your surgeon use them? I would've been okay at a wedding, since I just wore one of those cowl neck sweaters with my hair down (I have A LOT of hair) and you couldn't see my brace at a glance. Just to warn you - you'll probably be exhausted!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Driving to Virginia from CT. (passenger of course) . I will wear my soft collar just to be on the safe side. Bought a light weight scarf to hide steri strips. No my Doc says no collar thank God. Pretty sure just weight restrictions no driving not sure what else. It is so strange not having a pre op appt . Find out surgery time day before. Hoping I go earlier because I am a type 1 diabetic. My endo has contacted my surgeon so I feel better about the management of my Blood sugars . feeling positive that all will go well.
    Lisa
    Good idea to wear the soft collar. Try to rest as much as you can during the drive. I agree with TWynnB, you will ba exhausted. Your energy level won't be very high that soon after surgery. Do you have any muscle relaxers to take with you? If not, you might want to let your doctor aware of your travel plans & maybe he can prescribe you some?
    I never had a pre op appointment. They just called me the day before to let me know what time to be there.
  • advertisement
  • Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 05/07/2015 - 1:39 AM
    Here I was thinking I would be good as new by 10 days post op. But exhausted really scares me. I do have a script for more muscle relaxers. I have been trying to walk some to keep my energy level up. When can you start a slow walking program? 2 -3 days post op? Guess I am an over achiever . :)
    Lisa
    Walking is the best thing you can do after the surgery. Just be careful how far you push yourself. Listen to your whole body. It'll let you know when you're tired. That's when you rest.
    I was actually up & walking the hospital halls the same day of my surgery. I had my daughter in law with me. We got permission to go sit outside. It was a beautiful June day & the fresh air felt good!
    Cathy
  • My post op forms actually said no driving over 50 miles for 2 weeks. For me, and I believe I tolerate pain pretty well (I didn't think the surgery was that painful), traveling was quite painful the first few weeks. Oh dear me, the potholes are horrible...

• Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 05/08/2015 - 2:14 PM
    Wow a driving restriction. I told my Doc I had to be at this wedding . I will not drive, wear my collar sit on a cushion whatever I have to do to be there.
    Lisa
  • No riding in a car for >50 miles. Your doc might not have that restriction. I had a corpectomy (they took the C5 body out) as well, that might've made it more painful. Just have some good drugs available :).

advertisement