Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

No more insurance and filling early

Hello,
it's been quite some time since my last post, I was switch to a new med and had a bumpy transition, but any how I'm doing great now. Long story short I no longer have prescription insurance and now pay cash for my meds. I used to fill every 28 days but now I'm not sure if I can fill early anymore. My rx's are given to me 1 week before they are due to be filled, with no date saying don't fill until, just with the date they are written on. Does anyone what laws there are for patients without prescription insurance/self payers? I assume that with no insurance we are not given a 2 day grace period like people with insurance are. I'm in the state of Massachusetts if that makes any difference.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    She told me that it really didnt matter if you had insurance paying for the prescript or not.

If a script is written lets say for a 30 day period and you have a new script that you are trying to fill 21 days into that period.. They will not fill it, insurance or not.

This is an example of a local large chain pharmacy, but that does not mean every pharmacy will follow the same procedures.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • My doc writes several months worth of prescriptions for me to collect at one time. He writes them all 4-5 days early for my convenience. My husband can drop them in after work day 1 & collect them day 2 & I've got some time incase my pharmacy is out & I have to phone around. Sometimes I'm collecting them 2-4 days early & no-one (doc, pharmacy, insurance etc) has ever had a problem with that. I don't know for sure but there have been times that I've had to pay cash & send all the paperwork to my insurance to claim it back...that's just paying cash as far as the pharmacy knows & I haven't had problems. I've never filled more than 4 days early. I don't know when it becomes an issue. There are also times that we've been snowed in or just can't make it to the pharmacy & I've collected late so it all evens out in the end. I don't know if they keep tabs on how many times I've filled in a year. You know? If I always filled early & took a little more than prescribed would I reach the end of the year & not be allowed anymore because I've already had my prescribed number of pills for the year??? That would be a nightmare! Can you imagine being out of meds over Christmas & New Year?

How are you doing now? Are things better?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • advertisement
  • Thank you everyone, my scripts are written for 30 days, but it looks after talking again with the pharmacist that I will still be able to stick with my 28 day schedule and keep filling 2 days early. At first he said cash scripts were a little different and couldn't be filled early, and could only be picked up on the 30th day, but after talking with him I picked it up on the 28th day. What a relief!

Thank you again everyone!

How nice it would be if there were set standards, policies and procedures and it was easy to figure what would happen. But then again maybe it is better with loopholes!
  • dilauro said:
    She told me that it really didnt matter if you had insurance paying for the prescript or not.

If a script is written lets say for a 30 day period and you have a new script that you are trying to fill 21 days into that period.. They will not fill it, insurance or not.

This is an example of a local large chain pharmacy, but that does not mean every pharmacy will follow the same procedures.
    This is very dependant on the pharmacy, the doctor and the insurance.

My insurance, and I think most, always had a 2 day grace on all 30 day rx's, big chain pharmacies like CVS would not tell you this and some doctors would not allow you to use this.
advertisement