Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C5-c6

Tap924TTap924 Posts: 9
edited 07/14/2015 - 11:07 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello. Back in February 2011 I underwent ACFD for the c5-c6. A month after the surgery I had a seizure due to a allergy of the medication they have me. When I fell backwards I knocked the plate loose. Cause if that I had to have a second surgery to fix it. After that surgery it got infected and a third surgery was ordered. That surgery there were no issues at least with the surgery. All these surgeries and they have fixed nothing. Pain, numbness and tingling all still there. My surgeon shrugged it off and basically said there's no more he can do and sent to a pain management dr. Who gave me some meds for the pain and nerve. This was a workers comp case. I'm a correction officer and was out of work for 2 years. During this time I was collecting ssdi. I've been back to work for 32 months in this pain. I finally asked for all my medical records. As I'm reading these records it states that 62.5% disabled. My question is should I be working. Am I at risk for further injury?

No one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    welcome to spine-health
    please click link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    Are you being seen by a doctor? Who is in charge of your care? Do you have any restrictions at work?
    I am sorry you had to go through 3 surgeries & you are still not any better. I know it's frustrating. I've had to have 3 surgeries too.
    Are the meds that your pain management doctor gave you working? If not, have you let him know? There are many different meds out there to try. Maybe discuss this with him at your next appointment.
    Also, how long has it been since you've had an MRI? Maybe you have new issues going on?
    I hope you get some answers soon. Keep us posted.
  • advertisement
  • Tap,

If you think that work may be causing additional harm or is too painful then by all means stop but if not then don't stop working. You risk really getting down on yourself if you do. Imagine waking up and before you even get out of bed you say to yourself "I'm in pain, my injury took my job, my life, my laughter, what shit life is this?"

If you need to quit working to demonstrate a need for more compensation then be sure to consult with an attorney so that you can resume a different career in the near future.

Everyone complains about it but work is right up there with having children on the importance scale whether it be a stay-at-home mom or a financial advisor. Put in your 40 hours and do it well and feel proud of yourself and tell your injury to kiss your arse.

I am one of the biggest proponents of opiates on this board. They saved my career without question. With that being said narcotics and not working is a dangerous mix. It is a recipe ripe for depression. You will have to find some type of structure with some type of goals to keep you from descending into a world of "not caring".

I never met the gentleman that created work, he seems to of sold the world on the idea and then left the party. Despite how much we all complain about it everyone seems to need it and if we don't have it most seem to want it.
  • Tap924 said:
    Hello. Back in February 2011 I underwent ACFD for the c5-c6. A month after the surgery I had a seizure due to a allergy of the medication they have me. When I fell backwards I knocked the plate loose. Cause if that I had to have a second surgery to fix it. After that surgery it got infected and a third surgery was ordered. That surgery there were no issues at least with the surgery. All these surgeries and they have fixed nothing. Pain, numbness and tingling all still there. My surgeon shrugged it off and basically said there's no more he can do and sent to a pain management dr. Who gave me some meds for the pain and nerve. This was a workers comp case. I'm a correction officer and was out of work for 2 years. During this time I was collecting ssdi. I've been back to work for 32 months in this pain. I finally asked for all my medical records. As I'm reading these records it states that 62.5% disabled. My question is should I be working. Am I at risk for further injury?

No one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
    Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
    I am being seen by a orthopedic surgeon. The same who has done the surgeries. The meds I'm currently taking are gabapentin 300mg for the nerve pain and meloxicam as a anti inflammatory. My lat MRI showed spondylosis, anterior osteocytes and mild degenerative changes above the fusion. I assume this means the disc about the fusion. Today I made a appointment with a different doctor. My current doctor I get the feeling of he did the surgery and there's nothing more he can do. And is not taking the way I feel seriously. Anyone have any idea what I should do? This a workers comp case and I have a lawyer.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    You are on a very low dose of gabapentin. You need to let your doctor know if you don't feel like the med is working. He can adjust it higher for you. Maybe you need to be referred to a pain management doctor?
    You also need to discuss with your doctor about how much pain you are in while you are working. Maybe he can put you on light duty?
    I'm glad you made an appointment with a new doctor. Maybe fresh eyes will help?
  • advertisement
  • Hey Tap,

I didn't realize that you were not taking opiates. You might want to try a low dose of a long acting one and then use a short acting one for breakthrough pain. But this is very important --- Opiates will cover up symptoms -- don't do this if you believe that you still have an injury that can be fixed, you might not notice the pain once you start the narcotics. I should say don't start until you have figured out all of your injuries.

Cheers
advertisement