I have suffered for almost a year now with chronic lower back pain due to having to lift a barriatric patient daily die to bad practices in my work place.
The doctor thought I was over exaggerating for months and just kept adding more and more painkillers. After months of suffering he finally allowed me to have an Mir scan which detected two slipped discs, l4 and l5 and trapped nerve in my left leg.
I had epidural steroid injections (7 in total) two weeks ago for the first 3 days was in agony and then felt absolutely great for about a week. My doctor advised two weeks off work but due to being a single parent I had no choice but to return after a week. Now Im back in extreme pain and discomfort again.
as a side effect of the injections I have since developed oral thrush which I have never had in my life as well as other side effects which I can handle.now, this is going to sound crazy but is there any chance I'm in increased pain because of the candida as I have read that in can cause inflammation of joints? I'm desperate for seyhing positive to come of all this as so far it's been the most awful experience. The injections were traumatic and I wouldn't be in a hurry to do it again but at the same time it ha been amazing to feel normal again. My doctor said that its still too early even though it's been two weeks and I've been relieved from pain.
I must add that I'm only 27 so this really has shook my whole world up. It obviously effects everyone but I'm mother to a young child and desperately trying to start a new career so I don't do anymore damage to my back. My go has told me that my back will never be right again which depresses me especially when it all could have been avoided.none of my friends have had anything like this so I really have no one to turn to for help and advice.
Would be nice to speak to someone that has been through the same, especially if there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks in advance.********************************************************************************************************* Welcome to Spine-Health
One of the most important things that members can do is to provide the rest of the community with as much information about themselves as possible. It is so very difficult for anyone to respond when we do not have enough information to go on. This is not meant to indicate that you are doing anything wrong or violated any rule, we are just trying to be pro-active and get the information upfront so that people can start responding and your thread is more effective.
So many times we read about members who have different tests and they all come back negative. The more clues and information you provide, the better chances in finding out what is wrong, The fact that your test results are negative does not mean that you are fine and without any concerns. Many times it takes several diagnostic tests and procedures to isolate a specific condition.
Here are some questions that you should answer:
- - When did this first start? . Year, Your age, etc
- Was it the result of an accident or trauma?
- Are there others in your family with similar medication conditions?
- What doctors have you seen? (Orthopedic, Neurosurgeon, Spine Specialist, etc)
- . Which doctor did you start with? Ie Primary Care Physician . Who are you currently seeing?
- What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones?
- . Physical Therapy . Ultrasound / Tens unit . Spinal Injections . Acupuncture . Massage Therapy
- What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results (MRI, CTScan, XRay, EMG, etc)
- . Summarize the results, please do not post all details, we cannot analyze them . How many different tests have you had over the years? Similar results?
- What medications are you currently using? (details, dosage, frequency, etc)
- . Name of Medication . How long have you been using this? . Results
- Has surgery been discussed as an option? (If so, what kind)
- Is there any nerve pain/damage associated?
- What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?
Providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.
Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules
I also strongly suggest that you take a look at our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) which can be found at the top of the forum menu tab or by going to FAQ
There you will find much information that will
- - Help you better utilize the Spine-Health system- Provide pointers on how to make your threads / posts- Tips on how to create your avatar (your picture), posting images, etc- General pieces of valuable information
Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
- - Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)- Medical advice of any kind- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etc
What could be good for someone could spell disaster for another.
You should also consult your doctor to better understand your condition and the do’s and don’t’s.
It is very important that new members (or even seasoned members) provide others with details about their condition(s). It is virtually impossible to help another member when all the details we have areI’ve had this for years, it hurts, I cant move my shoulder – what could this be, what treatment should I get?
Diagnosing spinal problems can be very difficult. In many ways it’s like a game of clue. Especially, when the diagnostic tests come back negative – no trouble found! Then it’s up to the patient and the doctor to start digging deeper. The doctor is like a detective. They need clues to help them move along. So, you as the patient need to provide the doctor with all sorts of clues. That is like it is here. Without having information about a condition, its impossible for anyone here to try to help.Specific comments :Personal Opinion, not medical advice :
--- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator : 08/14/15 15:16est