Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck Surgery Next Week and Anxious

Comments

• Because of the meds I was "out of it" most of the first 2 weeks. However I did make sure I got in a daily walk. Once I was able to taper down the mess I came back to life lol. You will have good days and bad, good HOURS and bad! Just washing my hair in the shower was so difficult on my weak arms and neck and wore me out...I had to rest a half hour after a shower! At 6 weeks out that is behind me now. I know I will still have setbacks in the coming months as I continue to heal. Yes you are SO lucky you do not have to go back to work until after the holidays and new year!! Continue to take it easy and do not overdo.....that is what really sets us back! I am amazed that you were in the hospital that long! Here...they boot you out the door before the anesthesia has worn off in many cases. I am so thankful my husband and I bought an electric love seat recliner last winter. I spent most of the first 2 weeks in it. I hope your recovery continues well for you!!!!
  • How are you doing now Martin? I had my surgery November 5 and got home the next day. I'm ok . A funny feeling in the side of my throat in my mouth. Weird. How's your upper back and shoulder blades? Mine are painful. Just checking in to see how you are doing.
  • advertisement
  • lorijo3 said:
    Because of the meds I was "out of it" most of the first 2 weeks. However I did make sure I got in a daily walk. Once I was able to taper down the mess I came back to life lol. You will have good days and bad, good HOURS and bad! Just washing my hair in the shower was so difficult on my weak arms and neck and wore me out...I had to rest a half hour after a shower! At 6 weeks out that is behind me now. I know I will still have setbacks in the coming months as I continue to heal. Yes you are SO lucky you do not have to go back to work until after the holidays and new year!! Continue to take it easy and do not overdo.....that is what really sets us back! I am amazed that you were in the hospital that long! Here...they boot you out the door before the anesthesia has worn off in many cases. I am so thankful my husband and I bought an electric love seat recliner last winter. I spent most of the first 2 weeks in it. I hope your recovery continues well for you!!!!
    Thats just how I feel. Im not really in that much pain, just stiff and generally out of it due to the meds. I got up this morning and the shower was an ordeal but i was determined to get dressed for the first time instead of lying around in Pj's. I think a lot of it is in the mind so if you think you fell and look better you will.

I was going to buy one of the those recliners but my wife talked me out of it !!
  • I'm doing better today than yesterday , not as drowsy. I'm not in much pain but that's the meds im on (5 different types). I find it difficult to move my head back. The surgeon said that's because during surgery my head was forced back quite a bit for the duration (I was in theatre and recovery for 5 hours).

I'm also having problems with clearing my throat and my voice is very croaky but other than than im ok. No pain in the shoulder blades.
  • Got my staples out of wound yesterday which has made things more comfortable. However i think i overdid things with two short trips in car (as passenger) and today neck pain (at the rear) and headaches are severe. Guess i need to just rest up and do nothing for next few weeks.......6 episodes of Dexter straight today on Netflix!
  • advertisement
  • lorijo3llorijo3 Posts: 113
    edited 11/10/2015 - 5:51 AM
    It is hard to know our limits at this point so many of us have overdone and paid the price! But we learn and recover and go on, being careful not to do it again!! Hope your recovery from this is quick!!
  • Hi martin, I am glad you are doing so well. I have had arthritis for years, dx. in my 50's, have DDD. Have had 2 hip replacements. I was really surprised that in June I got tingling in my shoulder, down my arm at times,. always when on the computer and sometimes burning. I asked for PT, that did not work, I tried and injection, barely worked, Had nerve testing done also. I decided to go for the sugery as I would lose more hand strength. I knew it was a structural issue. I had posterior lamenectomy, he worked on C4 to C7. ( had a neurosurgeon) I was pretty nervous at first after talking the the anesthetist a week before surgery, I calmed down. I had a great attitude, am shocked I was not nervous before the surgery. I went into the surgery with a Bernie sanders sticker on my johnny (:- ) My symptoms are gone. The surgery was done 11/13. I used 90 percs!!!!!!!!!! cutting thru the back muscle does cause some additional pain, he warned me, we use our necks for everything. He could not go in from the front as I was fused from arthritis. I did not need a fusion, the chance of kyphosis is very low. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I don't want any more percodan. Not quite read y to drive, it has been a little tough for me, but the light is here. I am very quickly now getting back to myself, I see the MD in 3 days. We are courageous. I am glad I decided to go this route. PS prunes work really well with opiates. (:- )
    Leila deurell
  • I will be four weeks out on Tuesday and im starting to feel well again. At about two and half weeks a big change occurred and all headaches vanished. Last Sunday I stopped all medication and have been coping well without it. My wife is away for the weekend so I was looking after kids and doing bits and pieces of housework and yes I can feel it today but i intend taking it easy now and it should subside.

The only blip at the minute is my voice. Monday to Wednesday this week I could barely speak and when I advised the surgeon he pulled my appointment forward to tomorrow to see whats going on with that. However, just out of the blue yesterday it started to come back. If keep calm and dont try to push the voice its not too bad but sometimes it just squeeks like a 13 year old's lol. Anyway it seems to be reawakening and my surgery pain is definitely easing. The original symptoms are all gone and work have told me not to come back to 5 January so i have another good 5 weeks to recover and maybe actually enjoy.

It is a tough surgery to get through I wont deny that. But for anyone else facing it or just after having it, you do recover, even if it feels like waiting for an eternity at the time.
  • lorijo3llorijo3 Posts: 113
    edited 11/29/2015 - 1:46 AM
    Your recovery sounds a lot like mine. I am 9 weeks our now and don't really even realize I had surgery at all. I will be curious to know, when you are further out in recovery, if you "notice" when the weather is changing. All my "overdoing it" aches had disappeared until the wet weather moved in!! I believe this is normal, though.

My throat and voice were not normal until more than 5 weeks out. I ended up going to my primary doc to make sure it wasn't strep and he gave me prednisone and it was cleared up in about 6 days.

I am finished my PT and will continue at home....forever! It is a lifetime of work to keep the discs above and below the fusion healthy. Will you have physical therapy?

Take it easy while your wife is away!
  • lorijo3 said:
    Your recovery sounds a lot like mine. I am 9 weeks our now and don't really even realize I had surgery at all. I will be curious to know, when you are further out in recovery, if you "notice" when the weather is changing. All my "overdoing it" aches had disappeared until the wet weather moved in!! I believe this is normal, though.

My throat and voice were not normal until more than 5 weeks out. I ended up going to my primary doc to make sure it wasn't strep and he gave me prednisone and it was cleared up in about 6 days.

I am finished my PT and will continue at home....forever! It is a lifetime of work to keep the discs above and below the fusion healthy. Will you have physical therapy?

Take it easy while your wife is away!
    I had a laminectomy 24 years ago (L5/S1) as a result of a car accident and every October/November when the weather changes I get aches and cramps in my back. Started to wear a t shirt in bed when it got colder and it went away....but yes the weather is a real issue.

I will have PT but probably not until the new year now as my therapist is in Dublin and live over an hour away...hopefully I can get something tomorrow to help the voice...its wavering again...and ive cracked a tooth lol so im going to have to negotiate a dentist in the next day or two which will be interesting as I cant keep my mouth wide open for very long!
advertisement