Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar fusion, December 2015, any buddies?

advertisement

Comments

• Mindy579MMindy579 Posts: 36
    edited 01/25/2016 - 2:19 AM
    Hi Abby! Thanks for the encouraging words. So great to hear positive outcomes. I hope you continue to heal quickly.
  • Hi Scott. You need to be really sure surgery is the best way to go for you. This is a personal decision and surgery is a huge step that yes could open a Pandora's box that you don't want open. For me, I couldn't take the pain and the way it was limiting my daily activities and limiting my interaction with my family, so I had to go for it. Retrospectively, I wish I did it a year previously and my recover may have been easier, but that's just me. You have to think about your own situation. Hope this helps!! Best of luck
  • advertisement
  • I'm about six weeks post op two level L4/5 S1 spinal fusion, and I had a rough 5th week. My feet were in such terrible pain. I could not even have the sheet of my bed touch my feet or I would scream. It felt like electricity in the top of my feet and walking on broken glass on the bottom of my feet. My Dr. now uped my Lyrica to 450g per day, so this has helped considerably. I still have pain in one foot, but it is a little more tolerable. Unfortunately, this feet thing really pushed back my progress; however, I definitely feel much better and capable of moving much easier. I'm still walking with the walker for safety, but I can walk slowly without it. Hopefully things will continue to get better.
  • ScottthevikingSScotttheviking CaliforniaPosts: 66
    edited 02/03/2016 - 3:02 PM
    Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the support.
  • Hi Abby,  Hope things are going well for you. Drop by and let us know how you're doing. 

I'm doing much better. I'm about 7 weeks post op, and I'm walking now. I've left the wheelchair while I'm at work, so this is a huge step as I have to walk to my classes, and the distance is a bit of a way.  I'm still using the wheelchair for grocery shopping etc. though.  My feet are still bothering, but it's tolerable; I'm on 600 mg Lyrica now, which makes me considerably tired at work.  I'm falling asleep at my desk when I should be working--- what to do.  Anyway, I'm walking Thank God!!!!!  There were many times I thought I would not, and Thank God I am!!!!!!  

I hope everyone else is doing well. Please update your progress. 
  • advertisement
  • syedhusensyedhusen SingaporePosts: 2
    Hi guys,

I had a very bad pain on my lower back and waking up each day in the morning and even brushing my teeth is a nightmare of pain. After consulting my doctor, my MRI shows that I had bone degenerations of L5S1 and I my surgery scheduled a month later. 

On Dec 2015, I had a Spine L5/S1 surgery with implant Minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar inter body fusion with graft and screw. Currently I'm on 19 weeks post opp and recovering well after the surgery. I still have a numbness at my right leg toe including the bottom side and the top part of my feet. There is still minor needle pain which I had around 4-8 times per day. The pain is bearable and even can have 6 hrs of sleep everyday.

I had several physiotherapy sessions and now be able to do brisk walking around my house area. Able to do the usual things that I usually do. I will be meeting again with my doctor on mid April for a follow up Xray and review of my surgery. I'm glad that I had the surgery and wanted a pain free life and I believe that I'm going in the right direction. Yeah, just to share my journey towards that goal.

Regards

Syed 

* May 2012: Neck C6-C7 ACDF surgery with implant Nurvasive Helix Cervical Plate.
    * Dec 2015: Spine L5/S1 surgery with implant Minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar inter body fusion with graft and screw.
    * 50 yrs old in Sep 2016. Cheers.

ps: Fall down 7 times . . . . get up 8.
  • pointofyouphotoppointofyouphoto Posts: 5
    edited 10/05/2016 - 12:54 AM
    Hey all my December surgery buds! How are you all doing post op? I'm almost 6 months out and I am in worst pain than I was prior to surgery :( I was hoping for better, I had an endoscopic lumbar rhizotomy on L3-S1 bilaterally 6 weeks ago to take care of the facet joint pain, and I have no relief. I went back to work FT at 6 weeks (doc orders despite me not being ready) completed physio (8 weeks) and have had SIJ injections and the rhizotomy and am still taking more pain meds daily than I was before. I feel hopeless and would like to hear some of the more successful stories to give me hope. Is it still too soon? My surgeon is a [edit] and won't provide me with anything but "the X-rays show the fusion is healing nicely" 
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.