Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pool / Water/ Aqua Therapy

Comments

• brian- I was told by my PM dr to increase activity in the pool. She says it is gentle on the joints and less pounding to my spine. She tells me to hold the side of pool and do kicks as well as water walking. I discussed the laps and she is OK with it as long as I don't hurt myself.

My swimming is really my holding onto a float and doing the doggie-paddle. Nothing too extensive as I just try to swim laps and I think I was twisting so I am more careful. I do not try to swim without a floatation device as I get some muscle spasms and it could be dangerous in the water.. :))) jade
  • I don't have any pt but my sister has a pool and i know tht when I get in I hurt alittle that night but the next day my feet and legs feel soooooooooooooo much better. Just for a day or so though.
  • advertisement
  • Hi

I too go to the pool and exercise. I've not had an op, just trying to live and strengthen the muscles.

Today I worked 3 hours (mostly sitting with a stretch every hour) and was stiff when I left. I went to the pool and did my little routine - below - and felt a whole lot better this afternoon.

I hold onto the steps (side too high) and do back kicks, then cycle legs and a little swim. Breast stroke is all I can do, but that does tend to bend the spine, so only a couple of lengths then more kicks, cycles, walking backwards, etc

As I have a lot of movement I also can do 'crunches' Hold onto the steps with feet on the bottom rung. Then uncurl legs to the back and then bring them back in to the step. Sort of reverse crunches but good for the core.

Brian - don't try the above yet, but if you look on the www I'm sure you will find other gentle movements you can do

Good luck
  • Cindy4hope, I know those PT co-pays can add up fast. Just wondering if you could go to 1 or 2 sessions to learn the exercises, then maybe you could join a gym or ymca with a pool and do them on your own. I went to water PT 20 sessions last year, and the exercises were always the same, just more repetitions were added as time went on. Since last spring I joined the local YMCA and just go in and do my routine in the therapy pool. It is 93 degrees and it got me through the 5 months prior to my fusion on Aug 5. My NS says I can get back at it now at 2 weeks post-op, haven't been yet but hope to soon. My co-pays were $20 a visit, a membership is $45/month, so much cheaper. Just a thought, as the warm water is awesome, and provides a gentle work out for core strengthening. Sue
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
    I don't know if you have a smiliar situation where you get PT and Aqua Therapy.
    I went to a Rehab Center that had both. I did the land PT and then Aqua PT. After about a year of that (No co-pay, 100% coverage from my Insurance provider) I stand on in the pool
    in a 'Independent Program' Like it was mentioned once you know the routines, you can do them yourself. This program cost $50 a month, the local Y was $42. But at the Y I had to schedule time I could use their heated pool.
    Water therapy is one of the best for spinal patients. As long as you know what to do and what NOT to do, it is helpful
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
advertisement