Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg/foot numbness from C6/C7 herniated disc?

I'm having ACDF surgery on Friday due to radiculopathy down my left arm. I've had constant symptoms since Dec 14th, although they switch between pain in various specific areas with consistent numbness in fingers and weakness in bicep muscles.

The weird thing now though...I am now getting a lot of numbness in my right foot along with some strange sensations running down my calf and now somewhat in my thigh, but nothing in the buttocks area yet. I have a little bit of permanent nerve damage from a shard of disc crushing my nerve at L5/S1 from 2010 (had micro discectomy for that), bit it was only noticeable in the foot and only if I had been doing a lot of walking. My ankle is also noticeably weaker.

Is it possible the disc pressure at C6-C7 nerve root could be causing that also somehow? My understanding is usually cervical affects mostly the arms, but have also heard sometimes that can extend even lower (but the reverse of a lumbar nerve impingement would not cause nerve issues above that area). I also know nerve issues have a bit of a mind of their own.

It probably doesn't matter too much at this time and I'll check with the neurosurgeon when I see him on surgery day, but was wondering if anyone else had something similar happen. Inside one week until surgery, I guess I'm getting anxious...
C6/7 ACDF January 29, 2016
L5/S1 Micro discectomy November 2010
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,437
    I have had similar problems.

I first noticed the pain in my feet after my first surgery on C5/C6 and C6/C7. Surgeon at first said the pain in your feet can't be from your neck. I then asked "what if there is swelling?", and he mumbled "we, yes that could do it".

Two years later, after I figured that I had healed, I started to look into the pain more because it had also affected my hip and clavicle. Turned out that another disc C4/C5 was squeezing in on my spinal cord. Post surgery, and I no longer have pain.

So yes, it could be from C6/C7 - but it could also be from someplace else. So if it doesn't go away after surgery don't hesitate to follow up - I should have kept asking questions earlier.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • That is what I thought. I'll see how the numbness is in my leg when I have my follow up appointment. Right now dealing with the post op cervical pain. But the pain in my arm prompting surgery is gone!!!
    C6/7 ACDF January 29, 2016
    L5/S1 Micro discectomy November 2010
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,437
    Great news about the arm pain. Good luck with recovery.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

advertisement