Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Fall with Concussion. Chronic, neck, shoulder, arms and upper back pain

A few years ago, I had a fall on concrete.  I was knocked unconscious.  Don't know how long I was out, but needless to say, my head hurt like the crazy when I came to.  I thought I was okay, until I started getting nauseous and throwing up.  My left shoulder was hurting to from the shoulder all the way up to the neck area.  I went to the hospital and they said I had a concussion.  After numerous tests, they discovered  herniated disc at c4, 5-6.    I was put in a neck harness and sent home with pain medication.  The headache never went away, even after three years I still have it.  It just fluctuates in intensity.  Have had MRIs and they said that one of the disc is right next to the nerves, b;ut is not touching.  However, my symptoms are getting worst as time goes on.  I have awful pain in arms and shoulder at times to where I can barely raise them.  Have had steroid injections, spinal blocks, physical therapy for one and half years before getting the injections.  Nothing help.  Pain management sent me back to PT to try to build up the muscles in my back to help alleviate pain.  After 3 months, I could left a whopping 5 pounds.  Every time I would use the neck hardness to strengthen my neck muscles, I would wake up the next morning in absolutely terrible pain.  The moment I woke up, I would yell out and start crying.  My arms and shoulders would be locked in place.  I could not bare to move them, because  it hurt so bad.  I would have to use heat, cold, pain medication and tens for 2-4 hours before I could move my arms and shoulders without pain.   Now the physical therapy is over for now.  The physical therapist said he could not figure out what to do with me.  Every time strength training was attempted it caused pain.  I did however gain some flexibility.  However, my shoulders and arms still hurt so bad at times I can barely move them.  Sharp stabbing pain at the back of my upper arms and shoulders.  All I can do is try not to move them to much and use the tens unit to try to provide some relief.  I also am experiencing nerve pain.  I have experienced since the year of the accident, but It was very mild then.  I didn't know what it was.  I just know I felt a tingling sensation in the neck and shoulder area.  Then one day I went to pick up a book with my left hand and a jolt of lightning (the only way to describe it ) shot out my thumb.  That only happens now and then.  My hands don't really bother me.  Both upper arms become numb now, but it goes away eventually.  My left hand goes numb too when the left upper arms does.  I cannot do a firm fist with my left hand.  Both arms are weak, but the left one is very weak.  I often drop things and I am losing my balance sometime.  I was told that you can have nerve pain without nerve damage, but something is going on.  I thought for sure that the disc was touching a nerve root , however they can't see it.  They are ordering an EMG and want me to see a neurosurgeon again  (my second time).  I never had any neck, upper back, shoulder or arm pain in my life.  I did have carpal tunnel more than 25 years ago, but I wore the wrists supports for a few months and never needed them again.  I was feeling great before this accident.  Now my life is spent going to the doctor, pills, pills and more pills.  And pain, pain and more pain.  The doctor I just saw said that some neurosurgeons will do the  surgery if your condition gets too painful  But what is my condition,  I have disc herniation, nerve pain and weakness in my arms and shoulders.  I work from home now, because I can't stand, sit or walk for too long.  It goes pressure (at least that is what it feels like to me) in my neck area.  I know I am ranting, but I don't know how much more of this I can take.
advertisement

Comments