Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatica from tight hamstrings

I had a L4-S1 spinal fusion 5 weeks ago. I have been experiencing
sciatica behind my right knee (in the fold part), in my calf and  occasionally in my hamstring area and heel. I was told to stretch my
hamstrings. Can tight hamstrings give a person sciatica like I have?

I have also been icing in all these spots, as well as the incision site to keep down inflammation. I walk about 2 miles a day (broken up.)

Thank you for the help!!
advertisement

Comments

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    From what I understand, sciatica is actually a "phantom pain" caused by the nerve that is being irritated in the lumbar regain.  There is actually no pain in your legs from any sort of irritated tissue.  essentially, the nerve is sending a message to the brain saying, "Send the pain there" when the leg isn't injured at all.

Now, that being said, after one of my knee surgeries I had to have a nerve severe for the surgery.  There is no pain like the pain sent out by a really angry severed nerve!  It went on for years and it kept sending me the message to massage it.  When I asked a surgeon about it, not telling him I felt like I needed to massage it, he told me to massage the area with lotion.  There are other examples I could give you where we can "trick" the brain into seeing the "Pain" signal go away.  Certainly if your pain is saying "tight hamstring" it may just stop that message if your hamstring is stretched.

All pain is interpreted in our brains.  If we could get our brains to listen to common sense, we'd be much less pain!

Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 655
    Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I've never heard of tight hammies giving sciatic pain. I've always heard/read it could be a bulging disc or an inflammed piriformis muscle. 
  • advertisement
  • carlafcarlaf Labadie,MOPosts: 27
    My chiros were always telling me to stretch the piriformis for the sciatica.