Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anything equal to Opana

skyhunter71sskyhunter71 Valparaiso, Indiana, USAPosts: 19
My insurance company cut my pharmacy benefit this year to much less than it was last year.  Among other things, I take Opana ER 30 2x/day.  This medication is the only thing that allows me to get out of bed, and do somewhat normal things, like work.  It is also very expensive and has no generic.  If I continue to take it, I will only have enough prescription benefit to make it through July.  Then I will be completely out of prescription benefit money.  This means I, and my PM doctor, must come up with an alternative and fast.  The only thing that I have found that has a generic, and may be even close to the effectiveness of Opana ER, is Fentanyl patches.  Is there anything else out there as effective as Opana ER, but has a generic form?  I take a total of 5 meds for chronic pain, so I have to have benefit for my other meds, too (percocet, neurontin, amrix, etc) I asked my PM doc to write me a script for generic oxymorphone ER, and she won't, because it does not have the "tamper proof" coating.  HELP!  
advertisement

Comments

• Your pm doctor knows what generic extended release meds are available , so he/she will be able to choose one that he or she feels is appropriate in your situation.
    Bring a copy of your insurance formulary to the appointment and I'm sure she will find one she feels is comparable.
    Us suggesting a med isn't helpful for you, because meds taken by any of us may not be effective in the same way , in you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584
    Oxycontin is probably one of the more used Extended Release narcotic.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I also wish there was a generic to Opana ER.  I take the 30mg x2 daily and a one month supply is $900.00.  Worker's comp begrudgingly pays for it thank goodness.  Because my body does not metabolize oxy or hydrocodone, Oxycontin did not work for me.  The Oxymorphone does work good, except when I have breakthrough pain then I'm limited on the number of breakthrough medications I have to take.  The past couple days have been rather bad in the pain department unfortunately.  I also get facet joint injections as often as WC allows which is helpful as well.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • There is a generic oxymorphone/Opana. I take it every day. It is oxymorphone hcl and it is manufactured by global pharmaceuticals.
    I have been taking the generic version for over a year now.

• skyhunter71sskyhunter71 Valparaiso, Indiana, USAPosts: 19
    Just as a note, my doctor refuses to prescribe the generic, even though I brought all of the information to her.  She says the coating is not the same, and absolutely will not prescribe the generic.  On a positive note, I was incorrect regarding my insurance coverage.  They will continue to pay for the Opana, but it has to be pre-approved every 6 months.  
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello...
    That sounds great about getting med covered with preapproval every six months.
    I would have to mark my calendar as my remembering such things is ...well not there.  :)

Even though things are so different, and ever changing these days, I also, had experienced, not even pain meds, but decades  ago, prescription from doctor that stated no generic.
    When that was written on script insurance had no problem paying for it.

Again, so glad things worked out for you!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Thanks Savage.  Over one hurdle, but against another now.  Visited my spine surgeon after xrays, MRI, and the always pleasantly fun discogram, and what was revealed is my entire lower spine is so deteriorated, surgery not even an option any more.  So, I have to try and accept this and start to look at alternatives to oral meds.  I take 6 different meds for pain, plus am going to my GP next week to discuss an anti-depressant.  This has overtaken my life and is destroying my marriage.  Obviously I can't continue this forever.  I have great PM docs (in the same offices as my surgeon, so they all carefully monitor my condition together.  Can't praise them enough!)  Want to start education myself on things like a pain pump, electrical stimulation, etc.  The oral medications allow me to function somewhat as a human being, but its tough accepting the limitations set forth by my condition.  Spine Health is a wonderful site; always gives me hope, good advice, and information from a wide range of sources.  Visiting the forums always uplifts my spirits, knowing I am not alone in this suffering.  
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello sky...
    It seems very good you are taking care of your depressed feelings!
    Depression often accompanies chronic pain, but not to be accepted as normal.
    With care for mental attitude, my experience is, it has helped tremendously with my outlook and dealing with the pain...and in my dealing and expectations with other people.

re relationships...there is a post..Letter to Normals...can find with search on site, upper right on page.
    I tweaked for my my personality and if not the letter itself, the information helped me to better communicate with my loved ones.
    It helped some of them understand ...somewhat.
    Heck, if I wasn't living it, not sure how understanding I would be.

There is also post...The Spoon Theory.
    That I found very helpful and my people seemed to understand that better.
    So now with many of my loved ones, I just need to say, "I am out of spoons" and they understand.
    Sometimes they will want to plan a visit, or lunch, or such....and they ask if I can pace myself and save couple of spoons for them!

It is a very difficult thing to watch someone you love suffering.
    I know I experienced helplessness and anger, among probably all the emotions at one time or other...while I cared for those I love.

It can be a bit of a "tunnel of chaos" for a time, but so worth it when you get through it!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Thank you Savage!
  • How are you doing with this? I too am struggling with the exact same thing. 
    Heres to better days.
advertisement