Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day Before L5-S1 Discectomy...

Hey guys,

I'm getting pretty antsy about surgery tomorrow.  I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me?  

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Dajonx

Good luck tomorrow.  

I should probably put this in Kimmy's lessons learned discussion, Go ahead and put important things in the car now.  My surgery was cervical, and I left my collar on the kitchen table.  My forgiving wife had to drive home to get it while I was prepped for surgery, luckily it was a short drive.

Along with that, be sure to review the list of things to have for after surgery.  It may be too late now, but you still have time to get some of them, and it will keep you busy so you aren't thinking about the surgery to come.

Let us know how it goes as you move to the Surgery Recovering forum!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• dajonxddajonx PhillyPosts: 10
    Thank you, Bruce!  

Since it's apparently an outpatient surgery, I don't know what to bring.  I just have to remember to wear comfortable clothes and not to wear contacts.  I suppose I wouldn't need anything else...  
  • advertisement
  • I had a microdisectomy 4 weeks ago today. I was super nervous and surgery was about 4 hours late which didnt help. Soon as I woke up my pain was much better and the post op pain was nothing compared to what I was dealing with before. Best of luck to you!!
  • When they have you up to go pee and walk, make sure you have NO pain.

It took me about 5 minutes to get out of the bed, then I went and used the bathroom.  About 3/4 of the way through I stopped because I got a VERY SHARP stabbing shooting pain running down my right leg.  I could not even move a inch without it almost putting me to my knees.  About ten minutes later I finally made it back to the bed.  I had to have something to hold on to in order to get back.

Make sure you have something to grab onto when walking "if needed"

Good Luck!!

I also couldn't sleep on my bed for the first 4-5 days, I would get that same shooting pain when trying to get up.  It was the couch those first few nights.
advertisement