Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Have developed incisional hernia at 1 of fusion incisions

I had an almost 10 hour spine fusion in 2009 anterior & posterior, left rib removed, discs removed, really complex surgery
a year ago I went to a GI surgeon because I was having trouble with my esophagus, during my initial appointment with the GI Dr.
he remarked  I had a hernia, I was surprised, I told him I just thought of that thing as " my little lump". He told me at the time that
it should be removed, because of my weak abdominal wall due to the very, very deep incisions & I had also had a Cesarean
section in 1977, it could not be done! He stated that he had performed a similar surgery with similar circumstances once, it
was a disaster & he would never attempt that again, he went on to say that if anyone ever said they can do it- remove the
hernia, to refuse because it could not be done!

well, I listened & absorbed that but this lump - actually the Incisional hernia was  small & did not seem to be of importance at the time

I was there because they thought I had cancer of my esophagus ( I did not, but it was very intense & scary) for my Initial appointment
with the GI surgeon & he set up tests & discussed what might happen, etc, my appointment was not because I had a hernia

i am sure I mentioned it to my back Surgeon at my yearly appointment, my back is getting worse, my X-rays at that checkup 
had changed so I was not thinking this little lump was anything, I was very worried about my back

so now, 1 year exactly from the time I 1st saw the GI surgeon & he remarked about the hernia, oh my, it has grown!
around Christmas, I went to a Christmas party  & noticed my waist didn't look right...& gradually noticed between December
& now that I had this bigger than my hand thing on me, I thought it was a muscle but a few weeks ago I noticed it looked
as if I had bruised it & wondered how on earth I could have done that, it is below my left missing rib area,  I had a Dr
appointment scheduled March 2 with my regular Dr so I thought I would show her then

so I did & she had a fit, said it was huge & it was still able to go back in after being. " out" that is when I can see it
but the fact it was sometimes a color, pale green or blue but not always means it must be removed because it
could cause tissue to die & I could get sicker than I ever knew & with no notice, I told her what the GI Dr. Said & 
she made an appt with him & said he would know this could not be left as it had grown so & the turning color
factor, she said maybe it would be re,over in another city...another surgeon...

That was a terribly long story but has anyone else had an incisional hernia. & what was your hernia situation
i am still just trying to let this sink in, my appt is 2 weeks away unless there is a cancellation, the Dr told
me to take it easy at home...

what on earth, what does anyone know about a similar hernia situation maybe???

i do not do well with hospital stays, I have truly almost died twice when it the hospital, so It is scary
i am in good health except for my back which is disabling, I do not have a normal day, mine is shorter,
i cannot be up & around for 12 hours, gracious!

advertisement