Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Worried

I had a lumbar fusion 2 weeks ago The discomfort is subsiding  However as I walk in my house I am still getting lower back pain. I have to sit. Can't sit that long as this causes low back pain. I am worried that after 2 weeks this is happening  I don't know if this is normal  but it is becoming very depressing
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,757
    edited 03/22/2016 - 2:17 AM
    welcome weightman43

please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 03/22/2016 - 5:54 AM

Pat

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal... we've all gone through it.  Recovery from fusion surgery is a long... tough road that normally last 3-6 months or longer depending on the case... with lots of ups and downs.  The first 30 days are probably the worst because your body has suffered a lot of trauma in the surgery and it's trying to get back to nornal. The discomfort in walking and sitting is primarily due to your back muscles not being recovered from the surgeon messing with them to get to your spine.  The best thing you can do for it is to walk... walk.... and walk more... EVERY DAY as much as you can reasonably tolerate... this will help rebuild your back muscle strength.  Hang in there... for being only 2 weeks out from surgery you are doing really good.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Thank you hills for your  reply. It just gets. Frustrating
  • Thanks hills for your reply
  • It has been over a month since I had my surgery and I was just able to start cutting down on pain meds in the last few days. My doctor says its completely normal and different for everyone. Good luck with your recovery.
  • advertisement

Pat

Sure we all get frustrated... even depressed... it's part of the process... but you WILL get better.  Just remember the recovery is a marathon not a sprint.  A positive attitude is everything... using this forum can also help a LOT.  There's lots of people here just like you... sharing certainly helps.

• hvills said:

Pat

Sure we all get frustrated... even depressed... it's part of the process... but you WILL get better.  Just remember the recovery is a marathon not a sprint.  A positive attitude is everything... using this forum can also help a LOT.  There's lots of people here just like you... sharing certainly helps.

• Went to see surgeon today. X-rays  ok exam normal   Just told me to take it slow and all will get back to normal

Pat

I'm impressed you had such a major surgery at your age!!! 

What level(s) did you have fused???

• I had l4/5 with spondyolethesis of 4/5   Today was my first surgery since I had  my tonsils out 66 years ago  it is just very had to accept the bad days and not being able to stand more than 5 minutes. My surgeon told me that the standing will get better when the muscles get stronger. That makes sense but hard to accept
advertisement