Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

A Stranger With A Smile

There's an old woman out in the world whom I've never met, but think of when I'm feeling low or sorry for myself.
My husband had to have some blood work done, and while we were waiting, one of the other patients was called up for her turn.  She had been talking with her friend--laughing and clowning around as she was waiting.  When she pulled herself up using her walker, it became readily apparent that she had big, big problems with her spine.  She was so twisted up that her head didn't look centered on her body, and the upper part of her spine jutted upward at such a sharp angle that she looked almost triangular.  She greeted the nurse who came for her with a smile, and continued to be cheerful all the way across the waiting room as she slowly maneuvered her walker. Both my husband and I were amazed by her attitude.  All twisted up on the outside, yet a vision of resilience just the same.
I think of this old woman on rough days, and think to myself that if SHE can have a smile on her face and a cheerful attitude in her heart, then I certainly have little reason to allow myself to succumb to self-pity and/or thinking I have no reason to be smiling. 
Whoever and wherever you are, old woman, I thank you and wish you well. 
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    KIMMY
    In a few short paragraphs you summarized the good about people.

its not about I have too much pain

the doctor won't give me a higher dose

my life is over 

feel sorry for me

Ypu talked about some who appreciates and loves LIFE!!!

Thank you so much for sharing
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Kimmy
    That person is who you are on the inside.

Pain will make us hide the smile out of fear or 
    Tiredness.

Be more of that person...
    Be that light
    Live
    In that light.

You"ll be surprised when life smiles back!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • Hi, William!
    Thank you!  I believe life is both a mirror and a looking glass, and urges us daily to look at both ourselves and others not critically, but consciously. 
    Thank you, also, for sharing your lovely words.  I have read a few of your poems, and felt more inclined to absorb your words rather than comment on them.  Hope that's ok.
    Take care of yourself, and I hope you continue to "live in the light"!
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • LOVE this!!
  • Hi Brandydanielle!

Life has a way of showing us--even if we don't realize it at the moment--that we shouldn't take things for granted.  Things could be way worse.  The idea that things ARE worse for others out there is more bothersome to me than anything I've got going on with my physical condition!! 
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
advertisement