Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

So much more than pain

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
We have members here that go above just talking about our problems. I think everyone knows William, our resident poet.  He has a way in putting words down that describe so mch about what we are ,  who we are and what we experience.

I'd love to see more of this type of approach in our discussions.  One of our newer members, Kimmey72 has expressed the same feeling.   For us to talk about so many of the good things we have in life. instead of talking about our medications,, ESIs, treatments, etc talk about what makes us who we are.   

We are the same person today as we were before our spinal problems. Lets talk about it.   Could be something very simple such as the way we love earrly mornings reading the paper with a cup of coffee.

For me, it would be sitting on my Pontoon boat around sunset, engine off and just letting the gentle movement of Candlewood Lake move our boat.   Close my eyes and I am off in a beautiful dream land.   Open my eyes  and watch the colors of the sunset carve into the water with majestic strokes..

Life is good and it only  gets better
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• I had a Conversation with Sherri76
    It dealt with a very generalized issue.

And in no way at all does it reflect badly on any members lurking, new and old.

When anyone posts anywhere other than introductions, there is a common thread.

Everyone identifies first with suffering
    Then pain.

That is...
    In the simplest terms, i hurt, then... i have pain.

Pain..is the common thread
    Suffering, may or not be 

We are all here because of pain
    Physical
    Mental
    Emotional.

We are one big achy Family
    And we are so much more than what we think we are.

And less...

Stop the terminal feedback loop saying you are no good anymore.
    Where you are now is just a stop
    Not the terminous.

Where you will be is what matters.

Just as in life, you got to want it bad enough to put in the time and effort to move forward again.
    I see some of you fighting for every inch forward..and to slide back because of circumstance.
    And get right up and do it again.

And you know what?
    That..THAT is COURAGE!
    It is scary and hurts and is all black inside.
    Yet
    Again..You get up.
    Not one time
    Everytime.

You are here, that first step important and indelible as an experience.

Khalil Gibran wrote this...

On Pain

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses 
    your understanding. 

Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its 
    heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain. 

And could you keep your heart in wonder at the 
    daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem 
    less wondrous than your joy; 

And you would accept the seasons of your heart, 
    even as you have always accepted the seasons that 
    pass over your fields. 

And you would watch with serenity through the 
    winters of your grief. 

Much of your pain is self-chosen. 

Meditate on this.

That is our Condition, or an aspect of us in micro self examination.

Tell Me.

Who are you?

Not what are you..nor when are you

Who..are You?

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Ron--Thank you.  I cannot even begin to express how much I've relied on focusing on the countless blessings I have in my life as a way of coping with chronic pain (and all of the things that go along with it).  By the way, which wine did you select for your pontoon ride?;)  

William--The Prophet is one of my all-time favorite books!!!  I also loved your work, Transition.  You really captured the essence of uncertainty for people who deal with chronic pain, but also conveyed the message that an "uncertain future" doesn't necessarily have to have a negative connotation.  Thank you. 

I'm not saying I haven't shed a few tears of longing for the "used to be" me.  What I have, however, far surpasses what I've lost.  Not only that, there are so very many others out there who endure suffering beyond what I've ever--or WILL ever--experience!!  One example that comes to mind is Victor Frankl.  For those of you who don't recognize the name, he wrote Man's Search for Meaning.  He survived Auschwitz, and this book is a profound testament to resilience.

Soooo--my perfect day?  Getting out on the boat with my awesome husband, catching a HUGE RECORD WINNING Lake Trout (sorry hubby, I'm out-fishing you 'cause it's MY perfect day!!), then heading back to our campsite to knock back a few snakebites (it's half hard cider, half whatever beer you like!), all the while having a laugh-fest because my husband and I both have the same, idiotic senses of humor.  I'm smelling the campfire now...          
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 389
    I love to walk in the rain. Just me, a sturdy pair of shoes, and the rain. That's company enough for me. My profile picture is the Erie Canal at sunset where I used to go to school in the greater Rochester area, and that is my favorite place to walk and think. A nice stroll around the canal, through town to grab food at my favorite Chinese place on Main Street, around campus, and a stop off at the library before going back to my room. I'd be soaking wet and my roommates thought it was a bit strange, but it's almost like a meditation for me; quite calming. Walk like that would last from about five until one in the morning. Best Friday/Saturday morning ever. I can smell the damp, the lo mein, and the books already...
    Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 04/05/2016 - 12:16 PM
    Honesty is the best policy so I am one who feel what I have lost far surpasses what I have now, I think health is everything.  I also will never compare my pain to another's, that is a slippery slope as all of us go through our own battles and they impact us as such cause we live them. That is detrimental to healing in my opinion, no offense to Kimmy72 it is just my opinion.  I have read that book and it is a great story.

That being said my best moments are always with my godchild, really just doing anything she wants to.  That is the part of my life that has never changed.  What we do together sure has , but it has always been my happiest moments since she was born.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Absolutely none taken, itsautonomic.  Everyone's paths, perceptions, and opinions are as unique as their fingerprints.  It would be quite the boring world if everyone had the same point of view! 
    I'm glad to hear your Godchild brings you so much joy!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    What is so special, its the simple little things that can bring so much joy.  I know that Aaron's eyes light up anytime he mentions his godchild.  And I have never seen Aaron, but I can picture it all in my mind.

I really would love to hear from others.   I could fill up this discussion with the various things in life that I love and bring me joy, many of you who have known me for a while, probably understand that.

I am only 65, I have so much more I want to do .  We are planning our yearly family vacation.  Could be to Alaska, the Grand Canyon, so much more.  

What brings you joy?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • A lil puppy running up and nommming on the back of my neck as we play hide the human...
    A peek a boo kitten...

Sunsets
    Quiet evenings in the desert southwest
    Bunnies

A good glass of Grand Marnier..or brandy, or whatever feels good that day

A girls hand in mine
    The feel of a good hearted woman as we dance..uhmmmm slowly and very carefully...and not very long on my feet

Laughter
    Cucumber behind cat videos (seriously..youll blow your stiches funny)
    The beach

Laughter from other people
    Laughter from me
    Laughter from you..you still remember how right?

Walking nekkid in the snow
    My nekkid rain dance under the moonlight
    Just kidding...

The utter Joy when i hear a Spiney over coming their condition/position.
    You were.,There..
    Now
    Your here !
    And there is no better way of hearing it except for them speaking with Hope..About Hope!
    Turn that leaf Spiney!

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    My 2 grandchildren bring me the most joy! And we are anxiously awaiting our third. She is due within the next 2 weeks! 
    Also, taking trips across the country, with my husband, on our motorcycle. I live in Pennsylvania & we have taken trips to Mt Rushmore, Las Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, Myrtle Beach & Key West, Florida. My goal is to get to the Grand Canyon on the bike. We attempted it about 5 years ago, but we got as far as Arizona & my mother suddenly passed away, so we came back home. 
    Sorry, this was supposed to be a happy post. 
    I'm hoping this summer will be the year we can make it to the Grand Canyon. I'm very lucky that I have a very understanding husband who doesn't mind taking his time when we travel. 
  • Motor1
    Sorry about her passing.
    This last saturday i went on a memorial
    Poker run for a friend.
    Took 350 or so pics.

Motos, bugs's"s and hot rods..
    And soo much good will..it was amazing!
    The hearts that these strangers had toward this spiney..
    Everyone was killer!
    Ride on and enjoy!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 389
    I'm planning on being able to drive and see my battle buddies in MI, IL, and MN this summer. Hopefully I'll be able to tolerate the drive because I really miss them. They're like family to me even though we aren't related by blood. Joy would be walking with them in the rain and sharing stories over takeout.
    Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

advertisement