Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sharing A Quote

I stumbled upon this quote as I was cruising around online today, and thought I'd share it with everyone.  I can say I've wished for this myself...

I wouldn't demand a lot of my doctor's time.  I just wish he would brood on my situation for perhaps five minutes, that he would give me his whole mind just once, be bonded with me for a brief space, survey my soul as well as my flesh to get at my illness, for each man is ill in his own way.  Without such recognition, I am nothing but my illness.
--Anatole Broyard from essay titled, Intoxicated by my Illness
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Powerful!!!
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Kimmy a great quote and so very true....

Finding a doctor who demonstrates patient compassion is like finding gold.  You want to keep them.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
    Now this is an extreme case from someone who saw World War 1 horrors, and worked in remote jungle locations treating patients for many things without the technology we have now and ability to help.  I can't imagine what he must have seen.  But it has the essence of a doctor wanting to help at any cost.

"We all must die. But if I can save someone from days of torture, that is what I feel is my great and ever new privilege. Pain is a more terrible lord of mankind than even death itself."
    Albert Schweitzer, humanitarian, physician, theologian and composer.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
    By the same guy and one of my favorites, if only it were true for all ( it is more of an exert) :

The Fellowship of those who bear the Mark of Pain. Who are the members of this fellowship? Those who have learned by experience what physical pain and bodily anguish mean, belong together all the world over; they are united by a secret bond. One and all they know the horrors of suffering to which man can be exposed, and one and all they know the longing to be free from pain. He who has been delivered from pain must not think he is now free again, and at liberty to take life up just as it was before, entirely forgetful of the past. He is now a “man whose eyes are open” with regard to pain and anguish, and he must help to overcome those two enemies (so far as human power can control them) and to bring to others the deliverance which he has himself enjoyed. The man who, with a doctor’s help, has been pulled through a severe illness, must aid in providing a helper such as he had himself, for those who otherwise could not have one. He who has been saved by an operation from death or torturing pain, must do his part to make it possible for the kindly anesthetic and the helpful knife to begin their work, where death and torturing pain still rule unhindered. The mother who owes it to medical aid that her child still belongs to her, and not to the cold earth, must help, so that the poor mother who has never seen a doctor may be spared what she has been spared. Where a man’s death agony might have been terrible, but could fortunately be made tolerable by a doctor’s skill, those who stood around his deathbed must help, that others, too, may enjoy that same consolation when they lose their dear ones.
    Such is the Fellowship of those who bear the Mark of Pain.
    (On the Edge of the Primeval Forest, pp. 173 f.)

• Kimmy72KKimmy72 Posts: 2,103
    edited 04/08/2016 - 1:54 PM
    Itsautonomic--thank you for finding/sharing these!!  I LOVE the second, longer one.  It really speaks to the responsibility of "paying it forward". 
    Ron--isn't that the truth?!  I have very high regard for my surgeon, and for the group with whom he works.  When you find doctors who exemplify what the Hippocratic oath is all about, their worth is beyond measure!! 
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
    edited 04/08/2016 - 2:08 PM
    I have always known about the shorter one, but recently reading about the author I discovered the longer one and it just seemed like a great fit for many on spine health, what they are already doing everyday for others.  And the fact that this is by a doctor just blows me away, I think in a nutshell he is talking about empathy to someone suffering because you suffered yourself and like you said paying it forward.  I find it brilliant and yet so simple, what a concept.  The world would just be a better place medically if it worked that way.
    edited 04/08/2016 - 2:18 PM
    On a side note about paying it forward I worked with a Vietnamese guy who made good money running a labor crew of Vietnamese who worked 9 months out the year and returned to Vietnam in winter to see families and live like kings.  But this guy had come over as a refugee from Vietnam as the viet cong were invading , when he was a small child and his entire family was separated to different refugee camps, but they regrouped over the years and lived together .  He said what they practice is a form of paying it forward, he was the oldest so he worked when he came of age and helped the ones below him, he did not go to college , but they did.  Each one helping the next in line until all were good and own their own.  Out of 6 of them, if I remember right there were 2 lawyers, orthodontist, dentist, accountant, and him.  That is just the way they were raised, much of their money goes back to Vietnam to family.  He said he is now the black sheep ( jokingly) cause he did not go to college, but he had to start it off. 
  • So cool, and interesting, too.  Again, thank you for sharing!!!
    Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement