Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Positive Experience - 1 Month Post Fusion/Decompression

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,082
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I thought it would be good to post another positive experience, so here goes: For a year and a half, I had terrible leg pain just walking or standing. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis (slipped disk at L4-L5), bulging disk, spinal stenosis and bone spur...all of this at the L4-L5 level. I tried injections, PT, resting, etc. and nothing worked. Finally, decided I was too young (47) to live with the pain and didn't want to be taking a cocktail of pain killers the rest of my life. I had a PLIF on June 24th. Other than a rough 2 days in the hospital after the surgery due to what they called a narcotic induced headache, I bounced back nicely within a week...and ALL of the leg pain and numbness was gone! All I had to deal with was the surgery pain. In 2 weeks, I was pretty much off the pain meds and walking the required 2 miles. I've been walking 2 miles every day since and it's a miracle to me to walk without the pain. To me, the hardest part of this whole experience has been restlessness I feel not being able to do anything but read, watch tv, get on the computer, etc. My body feels like it wants to do so much more, even with the back brace on, but I have to be patient. Sometimes I get the restless leg syndrome at night and can't sleep. I think PT will help with that, which I hope to start next week. Anyway, a reputable surgeon, a supportive family, and a positive attitude during recovery are all key to a successful outcome in my opinion. I'm sure it helped that I was in good physical condition prior to the surgery as well. I'll try to give a 2 month update when the time comes. Best wishes to all that have an upcoming fusion. Hang in there and remember - POSITIVE THINKING!
advertisement

Comments

• Those of us who are awaiting our surgeries need to see what it looks like on the other side. Keep up the good attitude, it is contagious. Lyn :)
  • Yeah for you!!! That is the best news! Even though you feel good, try not to over do it. Keep us posted.
  • advertisement
  • Positive attitude! You rock!!!! I'm in 100% agreement with you!
  • I too had a PLIF (L5-S1) on June 24th. SO far in my recovery I have had no problems whatsoever and am coming along perfectly so Iknow what youre taking about. I havent got to the 2 miles in the walking department but I have gotten to a mile. My husband bought me a treadmill two nights ago so now I have no excuse to not get my buns in gear :P
    Anyway I'm happy for you that youre also having a positive experience in your recovery.

Take Care,

Christina :)
  • I soooo need to read these positive outcome stories. All the what-ifs continue to freak me out. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but don't feel I am succeeding. I am sooooo stressed out with still 11 days to go. Today I have a floater in my right eye, and I am wondering if it is somehow stressed induced. I have never had any eye symptoms before in my life. Keep up the positive stories for us scaredy-cats, Thanks, Sue
  • advertisement
  • excellent news sadie girl! keep up the good progress :)

to everyone else, yes, there are lots of positive surgical outcomes here and sadie girl is a good example. here are many more.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/good-news/many-successful-surgical-patient-outcomes

positive thinking sure helps!
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

advertisement