Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

July 2016 Surgical Buddies

advertisement

Comments

• What type of surgery did you have? 
  • Lizzy09LLizzy09 Hattiesburg Posts: 34
    Had decompression of L3-4 and resection of ependymoma (removal of a tumor next to my spine) on July 14, about 2 weeks from today. I'm still in pain but it has lessened since day 1. Still taking pain meds, jdragr- I have only been taking my muscle relaxers as needed too. I have accepted that the recovery process may be a long one. I knew I would have pain the first few days following surgery due to incision, but didn't know about the nerve pain and muscle tightness. Pain meds and muscle relaxers help. I have a prescription for Neurotin, but it doesn't help much and don't like the side effects. I just stated walking out of doors and did the stretches I used to do before surgery. How depressing! Can't sit flat on floor with legs in front because one of my legs is so tight. Dr ok'd light stretches, but I'm being careful! I start PT at the beginning of September, but going back on work at the beginning of week 4. Prayers to all of you. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • advertisement
  • I had ACDF C6-c7. I felt better yesterday morning so did laundry.  Today I can't stand to move neck. 
  • Its been 2 weeks since my spinal fusion l4-s1. 
    Tough time in the hospital, with overall stay of 6 days due to strange fever appearing on and off. Also my painkillers caused a lot of side effects - i was on pump morphine and Norco. Once we switched to Oxycodine an Roxicodone with added second muscle relaxant, everything got better and my muscle spasms went away.So far pain level has decreased to manageable level, I was able to stop taking all medication 10 days after surgery. 
    I'm able to walk, right now it's around a 1.5 - 2 miles once a day walk. Will be increasing to twice a day walk.
    First post op doctor visit is on August 2nd and I'll make another update.
    I had a horrible throat and mouth infection after release from the hospital, lost over 10lb in 4 days and I couldn't eat or barely able to drink, now it's gone. I was told I had mouth ulcers, due to stress. 
    I try to move around as much as possible all day long and combine sitting, standing and walking, which seems it's slowly helping me.
  • 2 weeks post op completed.
    6 days off pain medication and muscle relaxants!!!
    Starting physical therapy next Tuesday, 3 weeks after surgery - lots of positive information after really difficult, long hospital stay and viral throat infection lasting almost 6 days, losing 15lb in 5 days.
    I hope the progress will continue and I'll be updating my status after 1st physical therapy next week. There is hope after the surgery, for the first time in a long time I'm excited about my progress!!!
  • advertisement
  • Wow! Looks like you are doing really well pawipp, congrats! I'm 3 weeks out today and still feeling exhausted and sore. I walked around the market last Friday, and then slept for 2 days. Still on pain meds. The thought of weaning off is so scary. I was told no PT until the 3 month mark. 
  • Almost 3 weeks post op. So far so good. Last week I was able to start driving, just a little.
    No pain meds for over 10 days now and it feels good to be "clean". I'm able to increase walking distance, I do at least 2 walks outside, each 2 -3 miles. Total of 5-6 miles walked daily and I should be able to increase it to 8 a day soon. Physical therapy starting in 2 days, I'm very excited.
    I still have occasional pain, discomfort, but I can deal with it. Back is stiff together with my shoulders, hopefully I can correct it in next 2 weeks.
    6 more weeks before going back to work, I hope I'll be ready to go.
    Lots of work before I'll feel "normal", but there is light in the tunnel! 
    I hope everyone is recovering well from their surgeries.
  • Today is my 4 weeks since PLIF. Stiffness in my back is slowly going away.I'm able to manage pain/discomfort with ice packs. 
    Pain in left leg/shin increases with walking, but I can see improvements in past week. I still have numbness in my left big toe, but  believe it will only get better.
    I'm able to walk daily between 6-11 mIles at decent pace.
    Most important, I feel more confident with the every day usual challenges, shower, putting sock on and driving.
    I'm doing very light stretches per my PT and I'm hoping in couple of weeks I'll get clearance for swimming pool and eliptical. 
    It's a long way to full recovery, but every 3-5 days I see small improvements, which keeps me motivated to keep going. I still have 4 weeks before going back to work,so my daily walks became my job for now:)
    On August 30th I have my 6 weeks post op, I'll post an update then. I hope all my July surgery buddies are having great recovery!
  • 5 weeks post op update.
    PT is going well, the stiffness around incision is going away. No pain medication or muscle relaxers for close to 3 weeks now. When I'm in discomfort, I ice my bag for 15-20 minutes, seems to help.
    I'm able to do one to 2 walks a day for total of 6-11 miles plus my exercises assigned by PT.
    I can walk at pace around 3-3.5 miles per hour, unfortunately can't go faster, because it causes leg/hip pain - muscles are still pretty stiff.
    With daily walks and diet (I use "Lose it" app to track daily calories) I was able to drop few extra lb, to b exact 14lb since the surgery. I have another 10lb to go to get my ideal weight.
    I was pretty active prior surgery and tried to stay in shape until 8 months before surgery when I fell down, which at the end lead to my PLIF.
    Next goal is to get clearance for swimming pool, hoping to be cleared next week during my 6 week post op appointment. I won't be able to swim for another 2 months, but I can walk and do stretches and squats in pool and add some variety to my daily walks.
    I spoke with my surgeon regarding additional vitamin supplements, but I wasn't offered a lot of advices - it's not his specialty. After I spoke with my primary doctor and doing research and reading a lot on here, I started taking Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, D3 and my usual multivitamin. I also increased protein intake to at least 100-150 grams per day (I'm vegetarian, it's not easy to get the proteins, lol). I hope this will help with recovery and bone growth and muscles.
    Overall I'm extremely happy with my progress and abilities after 5 weeks. I'm strict with my no bend, lift and twist rule and so far it has paid off. I have 3 more weeks before I go back to work (I feel I could return this week, but taking extra time to recover). There is a very long road to recovery, but I'm very dedicated to it.
    I owe a lot to my wife dedication and care - she works from home and she provided me with mental and physical support, especially when I had all the setbacks and complications during first 2 weeks post op.
    Next update in a week after my doctors visit.
    Stay positive and keep moving:)
advertisement