Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Best in Show

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
Ok, not the Weistmester Dog Show or the movie!

But, over the years so many different people talk about the various medications that they have taken, the pros/cons/etc

I'd like to break down medications into these categories:
  • Narcotics (opiates)  (ie way too many to list)
  • Nerve   (ie Neurontin, Lyrica)
  • Muscle Relaxers   (ie  Baclofen, Zanaflex, Soma)
  • Sleep Enhancements  (ie Ambien)
  • Gastric (ie Zofan)
  • Anti-Depressants   (ie Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline)
Please tell us about your experiences with one or all of the above.  Use the following template as a ways to describe each of your medications
  • Name
  • Dosage  
  • Frequency
  • Pros
  • Cons
  • How Long
  • Future?
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 05/20/2016 - 11:34 AM
    I will just share the ones that helped.  I have been on many anti-depressants, muscle relaxers, nerve meds over years.  Really injections correctly placed ESI and lumbar sympathetic blocks have done the most by far for me in my chronic pain battle, but that is for another topic.
    • Name:  Nortryptyline
    • Dosage : 25 mg
    • Frequency: once at bed time
    • Pros:  instantly relieved allodynia ( high pain from touch, wind, clothes etc) in my right arm to a manageable level
    • Cons:  Keeps you feeling horribly sleepy and just never get used to it
    • How Long: about 4 months now
    • Future? Best I have for now, will experiment with getting off if find something to replace it that I can do on my own.
    • Name: cymbalta
    • Dosage :  50 mg ( long time ago so I think this was dosage) 
    • Frequency: once before bed
    • Pros:  Reduced sciatica like symptoms to nothing within 2 weeks after 8-9 months of aggressive rehab, neurotin and chiropractic with no luck.  Never returned
    • Cons:  Sleepy, lethargic
    • How Long: Immediatly got off as soon as sciatica symptoms left ( drs advised to get off see if came back)
    • Future? No future for it unless those symptoms come back will be my first thing I try
    • Name:  Baclofen
    • Dosage : 10 mg
    • Frequency; 3x day
    • Pros:  only muscle relaxer that worked for spinal cord related nerve/muscle issues ( I tried many before it, gives me energy
    • Cons:  None
    • How Long:  around a year
    • Future? Until I can find something I can do physically myself to replace its effects I will stay on it
    • Name:  Diazepam
    • Dosage  :  5 mg
    • Frequency;  3 x day or as needed if I can manage to not take 3 X day
    • Pros:  Helps my autonomic system damage greatly to keep me from the sympathetic nervous system causing larger issues.
    • Cons:  None
    • How Long: about 6 months
    • Future? Working with therapist to find ways to lower pain, stress and shut down sympathetic system naturally to lower dosage, but unless my autonomic damage heals will need to be on it for rest of life to function. Working on my own to reduce need through yoga , meditation and such.
    • Name:  verapamil
    • Dosage  : 40 mg
    • Frequency:  2 x day
    • Pros:  Helps the vasoconstriction from spinal cord damage in my right foot to allow circulation
    • Cons:  Bit of a headache sometimes
    • How Long:  3 months
    • Future?:  Will get off it when find supplement to do same , experimenting with vasodiliating supplements currently with doctor approval.
    • Name:  Setraline ( prozac)
    • Dosage  :  50 mg
    • Frequency: 2 x day
    • Pros:  Helped with issues dealing with chronic pain and tramatic injury
    • Cons:  none
    • How Long: 1 year
    • Future?  Will taper off them once health stabalizes hopefully
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Did I do this right?  No one else is posting 
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomic - i also take nortriptyline - and it took a long time before the side effects wore off - so hopefully the sleepiness you feel may still improve...

• Name: Nortryptyline (for nerve pain, not as anti-depressant)
    • Dosage : 20mg 
    • Frequency: once a day at night 
    • Pros: mostly stopped the frequent burning from neck along upper shoulder - though still get burning in arm. also made burning become more of a cold feeling when first starts
    • Cons: these have a lot of bad side effects at anti-depressant levels (why not really used any more for this) , but apparently aren't too bad at levels used for nerve pain. - for me the main side effects have mostly worn off (took many months though), but included feeling sleepy in the morning and getting light headed/dizzy, particularly when i stood up. 
    • How Long: not sure - def over a year now though
    • Future?: hoping to get off them at some point after surgery in june - but will see...
  • Oxycodone hcl 
    10mg
    1-2, every 4-6 hours 
    Keeps pain levels manageable 
    I'm dependant on a medicine that if I dot have I get sick, Is this normal?
    3 years
    No end in sight at this point 

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    * norco 5/325, 3-5 x daily. Pros: is effective without side effects. Cons: only lasts 3-4 hours, wears off soon after I eat, it's an opiate, so I'm always afraid of the unexpected reduction or cessation by doctors. Have taken it for a year. Hope my pain is resolved, but will keep taking it as long as the pain persists. This medication makes a huge difference in my daily life. 

* tramadol 50 mg 2-4 x daily. Pros: help with pain when combined with norco. Enhances my mood and makes me feel calmer. Lasts longer and makes the norco last longer. Doctors are happy to prescribe. Cons: on its own, it is not very effective for my pain. When I take more than a couple a day, it causes anxiety. Taken for a year. Will take as long as necessary. 

* Lyrica 75 mg 1 at bedtime. Pros: moderate relief of sciatic pain (searing sensations). Cons: makes me feel intoxicated and tired. Taken on and off for a year. I don't like taking it because, over time, it makes me feel very tired during the day (and I have to keep up with a 2yo). Hopefully can stop taking it altogether, but for now I just take a break here and there).

Those are my current meds. It would take too long to describe all the others, lol. I'll do one more...

* Nucynta 600mg ER 1x daily and Nucynta IR 50mg 3x daily. Pros: very effective pain relief...I would suddenly realize I had no pain. It was weird. Cons: OMG! I felt like I took a psychedelic drug. Hearing things, smelling things, super high, extreme anxiety and agitation, sweating profusely, confusion, heart and mind racing, couldn't eat or sleep, etc. The IR wore off very abruptly and caused pain to surge back. Took for five days before sending it to the pain clinic to be disposed of. Will never take again. Can't believe some people tolerate this medication. Good for them if they do because it makes pain disappear! 

Thanks,
    Sara :)
  • advertisement
advertisement