Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Severe Spinal Stenosis

Hi, im new to this site. Im a 50 yr old female and I need quite a bit of advice and support. I have severe spinal stenosis, ruptured disc and fibro. I'm in so much pain daily. I literally have to inch myself out of my bed in the mornings. It takes me at least 2 hours to even be able to get up and move around. At this moment I am not on any type if pain meds. I got "red flagged" when I was going to a pm Dr and was on 30mg ox then dropped to 15mg just like that. Well, the drop of mg, I was a few short on my pill count. So now I'm suffering something horribly and I don't know what to do. I'm scheduled to see a neurosurgeon in a week after seeing the results of my last MRI. Surgery is much needed. Ive tried everything else. Ive got to get some help, some relief. I can't go on hurting like this. Thank you for reading. 
advertisement

Comments

• Art1947AArt1947 Holywell, UKPosts: 106

I wish you well and I hope that surgery will bring you some relief albeit in the long-term. Are you able to walk unaided?do you have any balance issues? Regards, Art1947

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Coast Bella,
    I am a 56 year old female with severe spinal stenosis. My neurologist originally gave me a prescription nsaid which did nothing. I called a few days later to ask for pain meds and she told me to try to wait for the nsaid to kick in. It never did. When I went back a week later I told her I was taking so much tylenol and ibuprofen that it was making me sick. She then gave me tramadol. I also got a TENS unit that was a great help.

At my worst I was lying in bed with the TENS on my leg, an ice pack under my butt and a heating pad under my back! Needless to say, I was a mess. I found though that forcing myself out of bed and walking really helped.

I did eventually see a surgeon and I have a microdiscectomy scheduled this week. Do you have a primary doctor who can give you something for now?

Hang in there! 
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • Hi Ellen, thank you for writing back. My primary Dr is giving me Ultram which is like skittles to say the least. I am scheduled to see a neurosurgeon in a week. They want to do surgery because my spinal stenosis has gotten so bad, my nerves are almost to the point of being severed by my disc. Because I was unfortunately red flagged by a pm Dr almost 3 years ago, for now Ultram is all my Dr will give me. Im miserable. I am praying that the surgery helps. I can't handle this pain any more. I try to carry on a "normal" life, walking around, cleaning house, going to the store...but I have to sit down probably every 30 minutes, and that's pushing it. I just don't know what to do. The DEA and drs have gotten so bad about helping the ones that truly need help...the ones that have proof of problems, MRIs and such. Its just so wrong. The reason I got red flagged was because my Dr changed my script of 30 milligrams of Oxycodone to 15 milligrams with tapering me down. Well, I was called in for a pill count and I was like 4 short and he dismissed me so I ended up having to go to the ER and they gave me clonidine to help ease the withdrawal from the Oxycodone that I was on for almost a year. And that's why I can't get the help I so desperately need.
  • Hi Art, I can walk unaided except like when I have to walk through a grocery store, I have to hold on tightly and lean down in the buggy. My right leg sometimes almost goes out on me, I have sciatica problems also. My back is a total  mess. Ive been through everything from chiropractors, physical therapy, injections. Surgery is my last hope.
  • Art1947AArt1947 Holywell, UKPosts: 106
    CoastBella, thanks. Is your walking issue balance and gait or leg pain and fatigue?, before my laminectomy my walking was bad because of bad balance but I had no pain or muscle fatigue. I was pleased about 2 months ago when I started getting foot and leg pain because before that my lower limbs were stiff and had little feeling. I hope you have a speedy resolution to your issues. Regards, Art1947
  • advertisement
  • Leg pain along the complete backside of my right leg, but it will shift to my left leg at times. Fatigue is extremely a problem in my legs. I feel as though I'm very wobbly when I walk.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello CoastBella !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Adelthea17AAdelthea17 Seattle, WAPosts: 12
    Skittles.,,,heh. I know just what you mean. In my case, I get asked whether Tylenol gives me any relief. My answer is that Tylenol helps me as much as M&Ms, but I prefer M&Ms because they taste good, at least.

I remember being given Ultram. Some drugs have side effects, but you deal with them because the drug is effective for the purpose it was prescribed. Ultram was completely strange; it had side effects but no effects! It gave me all the side effects of narcotics -- dizzyness, nausea, etc, but it did nothing at all for pain!

I have severe stenosis as well, both central and foraminal. I do not have any actual back pain. But when I stand or walk, I get "electrical" pains down my legs and have to stop and bend over to relieve the compression. 

My current doc says that physical therapy would be useless in my case. However, my previous doc felt it could  be beneficial, so I gave it a go. Now, there's no way PT is going to fix my issue, but to my surprise it actually did help.  My PT focused on abdominal and glute muscles. Now, I find that walking is easier if I hold my stomach in and push my butt under. I haven't had PT in a long time so I may have lost any strength I gained in those muscles, but I find it still eases my pain if I tighten those core muscles and concentrate on keeping my pelvis tight and straight.

I know everyone's different and what works for one person might be useless for another, but I wanted to throw that out here just in case.
  • cjbrntormedccjbrntormed redondo beach caPosts: 1
    Hi I am new to this too.  I have  spinal stenosis complicated by bone spurs.  My feet are always numb and tingly. I have been taking  ibuprofen and tylenol for the pain but it doesn't really help that much.  I feel frustrated and yeah sad too that I am loosing my ability to move.  I have had edpidural injections 3 times and that didn't work either.  Don't mean to be depressing about it.  I am not helping much.  I totally understand how you feel.  Especially when they won't give you pain medications anymore. 
  • Hey CoastBella (beautiful coast of Mississippi?). I am at you same level with spinal stenosis. I hope to have a coflex apparatus next January. It all depends on if I have enough bone after a laminectomy. I will try to remember to let you know how it worked.  
advertisement