Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I feel hopeless and defeated but not beat yet close>>>

Okay first let start of by saying if I get this wrong I am sorry I am trying my best.
45 yr  old male 
Kansas area

Before Sept 2013 normal healthy male 
Sept 10 2013 diagnosed with Thyroid cancer and had 3/4 removed and my parathyroid and some lymphs. It was cancer but every thing seemed to be normal except I still had 1/4 thyroid and it 3 tumors. I asked to have have it taken out and was told as long as we keep an eye on it we will be good with 6 month check up. 

Jump ahead a few months because until this time things seemed great. Feb 2014 I picked up a 3 day old baby in a car seat  from a Coffey table not the floor and turned to right. I had the most inconsiderable pain shoot up my back and I literally felt  T-10 collapse and when I turned back T-7 collapsed as well. I was taken straight to the hospital where I had Vetebroplasty done on T10 and T7 and during that T8 and T9 compression fractured as well. long story short I was diagnosed with osteoporosis severe at that.. From Feb to Aug I had a few more things go wrong  but they got me into Pain management and I thought wow they are at least going to take some of this pain away.
 I started steroid injections and then RFA from C- 1 to T13 for 18 months every 7 days and it did not do a thing. No relief at all. So at this point I am going to list what all I have to date and then revisit Pain Dr issue.

Osteoporosis severe  (Reclast)
Cervicalgia facet syndrome
Degeneration of the cervical inter verbal  discs 
spinal stenosis of the cervical and thoracic region with sty noes
Cervical spondylosis
Moderate diffuse osteopenia   
moderate spuring C3 C5 C6 
and ed plate compression fracture C3 and C6 as well

Degeneration of thoracic & thorocolumbar  intervebral discs 
Compression fractures in T-4 T-5 T-6 T-7 T-8 T-9 T-10      I have lost 4" in height in a year 
vertebroplasties in T8 T7 T9 T10 T12

Moderate increased thoracic kyphosis and moderate thoracic curvature centered and T2
Significant central narrowing of the nerve forminal

Tumor posterior margin of C2 and in the nerve sheath of C3

I have nerve damage to the point of this..
My legs pick when they want to work my hands have pretty balled up and are very hard to use anymore. my shoulders hurt and now my body is of center at age 45 so my knees are going bad my feet...

Through this all the only thing I was taking for pain meds was hydrocodone 5/325 and my bad days. And the RFA and that was causing more pain and not reliving the 18 months I did this RFA every 7 days. When we stopped with in a few weeks I was in a lot of pain.  I am not big on pain meds I don't like to take them and don't like the way I feel with them so I don't ask for more ever. and Never have. My Dr gave me fentonal 150mg I have never taken it. I put the patch on about 9 o'clock that night and by 3 am I thought I was going to die. I called My pain management Dr in the morning and told him it made me very sick and could I please have something not near as strong.
His reply was that I would have to come in to the office to see him first.

before this we were heading towards a pain pump and some surgeries.
I had a apt 2 days later and I came with a note book at that apt he told me my only option was to have RFA again and see if worked this time. For the first time in my life I felt more wrong about doing that then anything ever and I expressed my concerns and he said that was it. would not say why anything... then walked out and

when I got home I felt so wrong and so just not talked to like I was an adult that it made me mad he had never been this way, I called the hospital and got a patient advocate explained the issue and they made another apt for 2 days out.  When we got there I very nicely explained how I felt and expressed my feeling how I did not want to do RFA for another 18 moths and get 0 NO pain relief. Agian I asked about the pump and told nothing not a word. I tried to ask what and when went wrong noting Then I asked if could be put back on the 5/325 instead of the fentonayl  and he said he would be right back 2 hours later I was finally told he had left for the day. I had to walk out to keep my cool

the next day they caleed and said they can't see anymore I asked why and the nurse I swear tells me that he is not treating chro;inc pain anymore
that was aug    
and no other Dr will touch me

has anyone else dealt with this at and what did you do where did yo turn  

advertisement

Comments

• First, I am so sorry to hear about all your pain and frustrations. Second, I am so confused. There are so many drug choices in between the 5mg hydrocodone and the outrageous amount of Fentanyl that your doc tried to put you on. I've been on 50mcg for almost two years, and I started on 25mcg. Plus he jumped from an IR to an ER drug. No wonder you were so sick! I'm also not understanding why anyone else won't touch you? Have you tried other PM docs? Do you have all your scans and records to show them? 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello knuckledragger !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • knuckledraggerkknuckledragger Kansas City Posts: 4
    Pretty sure I did all that 

• Have you seen your family physician to discuss a referral elsewhere? Have you ever had a surgical consultation to discuss options? A pain pump is generally the last option if you have fixable problems. 
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • hayahhaya AustraliaPosts: 14
    Sounds like you have had an awful time. It's comforting to know its "normal" to be stuffed around. I don't think there is easy answers. Just keep going- there is always another dr and it really doesn't matter how many you see- you need to find the dr who understands you! 
  • advertisement
  • knuckledraggerkknuckledragger Kansas City Posts: 4

First, I am so sorry to hear about all your pain and frustrations. Second, I am so confused. There are so many drug choices in between the 5mg hydrocodone and the outrageous amount of Fentanyl that your doc tried to put you on. I've been on 50mcg for almost two years, and I started on 25mcg. Plus he jumped from an IR to an ER drug. No wonder you were so sick! I'm also not understanding why anyone else won't touch you? Have you tried other PM docs? Do you have all your scans and records to show them? 

I have never been on anything much stronger than 10's 
  • Have you had any luck with finding a new doctor knuckledragger? 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
advertisement