Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5S1 Disc Protrusion without Sciatica

Hey guys,

I'm 30yrs old, recreational lifter with MRI-diagnosed disc protrusion at L5S1 and minor herniations at L3, L2 and L1.
I also have left hip inflamation which seems to be pushing my L5S1 nerve and thus worsening the pain (according to the doctor).

I don't have active sciatica... except if I keep lying on my left hip and then I start feeling light spasms in my right leg and numbing pain (light pain but really uncomfortable).

My question is, how do you guys manage to work in a office 8 to 9 hours sitting with a disc herniation? Honestly I don't plan to stuff myself with painkillers for the next 30 years :) In the last 3 weeks I've been working from home, lying on my couch (on the right side), but since my homegym is under re-construction I can't start working out again and I also work overtime every day.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have one of those disc hernations when people can't walk and similar, but still... this has been really depressing.
In a nutshell, I can't sit for a prolonged time (my left hip starts aching and then my lower back), I can walk, run, bend, etc...

Thanks so much!

advertisement

Comments

• Hello, JohnWeights44!

Oh, the bane of sitting with lumbar spine issues!!!  I can totally relate.  I also had the problems of laying on my left side.  I had fusion surgery (L4-S1) in January, and after the complications I had from scar tissue were taken care of a few weeks ago, I've been recovering well.
    I'd have to say the one hurdle I have yet to overcome is prolonged sitting.  I discovered it took me three days to recover from a 40 minute drive last week.  I'm also able to walk without pain, bend (though I am still very careful with the degree), but that sitting...I feel for you.  Have you thought about trying one of those desks that lift up and down? 
    In the interim, welcome to the forums!  Please click on the following link to help you get started!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • I think maybe it is good your home gym is under re-construction! :-)  .  Take great care there and let your body heal.  When you say recreational lifter .. how long and what size weights do you lift?

What has your doctor advised with treatment or medication?

I understand your wish not to take pain meds for the next 30 years, but in the first instance they can help you relax muscles that can sometimes add to the pain.  I had a huge left hand lean from muscles reacting to my L5/S1 herniation.  Maybe try to find something on this forum about Piriformis muscle and L5/S1 nerve exit from the spine into the leg.  It may answer a lot of your questions.

I was advised many years ago, when I eventually got to a gym after a really bad flare up, not to run at all.  On the treadmill or away from the gym.  I was told a progressive walk almost to the point of running was ok, but never to run.  I think that saved me from surgery for 20 years.  Core stretch to the maximum is a bad back's best friend.  However I was told no full sit ups and only once I had healed.

Sitting isn't something I can do very often or for very long.  Unfortunately, I can no longer work, so I cannot advise on long office hours.

Good luck in finding the information you need
    AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement