Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Frustration - can't get second opinion on surgery

Comments

• Not sure if you can travel, but I am in Vancouver, WA my doctor is at OHSU in Portland. I actually went to him as a second opinion, and after jumping through all of the insurance  hoops, my alif /plif is in 10 days! 
  • I'm not sure the original poster is still around, but here are my 2 cents. 

The internet is both our best friend and our worst enemy. It provides us with lots of information on what may be wrong with us. The danger is, that because we are not doctors, we often misinterpret the information. It further tends to focus us on desired treatments rather than fully understanding the actual medical problem.

While it is not an admirable trait, some doctors view us as unworthy of possessing medical knowledge. If you happen to find yourself in the presence of one of these doctors, and have the temerity to offer some of your knowledge, you're dismissed instantly as a nut job.

For me, I try and let the doctor be the doctor. Then I form my opinion of the doctor. In the case of my laminectomy last week I went with the doc from whom I sought a second opinion. I did not tell him I had seen another surgeon. I presented all of my films and test results saying they had been compiled working with a physiatrist. 

Kyle

• advertisement