Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I'm having acdf surgery and I'm SOOO scared!

I'm having acdf surgery for c-6 c-7 on July 13th and I'm scared out of my mind. I'm scared about being on a PC pump.  Im scared about the not being able to swallow. I'm scared about wearing a soft collar and not getting comfy for sleeping.  Im scared about recovery In general. So many times I've almost cancelled this because I'm scared.
i know everyone recovers differently and  at their own pace. 
Thanks for reading!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,425
    Its normal to be scared before surgery, right up to the night before.

I had two ACDFs 1994 and 2000 for C4/C5/C6/C7.  So I have a multilevel fusion with a titanium plate and screws.
    For both of my surgeries, I went home with a hard Philadelphia collar.  I had to wear that 24x7 for 6 weeks.
    But today, I have realtively zero impacts from this surgery.  I have a limited range of motion moving left to right.
    For driveing, I need to compensate with an over sized mirror

I would have this surgery any time to reduce the pain.  For me, the ACDF was the most successful surgery

ACDF Details
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 

• dilauro said:

Its normal to be scared before surgery, right up to the night before.

I had two ACDFs 1994 and 2000 for C4/C5/C6/C7.  So I have a multilevel fusion with a titanium plate and screws.
    For both of my surgeries, I went home with a hard Philadelphia collar.  I had to wear that 24x7 for 6 weeks.
    But today, I have realtively zero impacts from this surgery.  I have a limited range of motion moving left to right.
    For driveing, I need to compensate with an over sized mirror

I would have this surgery any time to reduce the pain.  For me, the ACDF was the most successful surgery

ACDF Details

Hi ron! Thank you so much for your kind words and support. Your experience sounds like a positive one. It's scary reading these forums and hearing issues that come from having surgery.
    I had my preop appt today and I chickened out. I postponed it for 2 months. 
    Thank you again
  • advertisement
  • Oh my why ? Can you share your symptoms ? Is it safe to delay your action ? I can tell you I am currently recovering from my 3 rd cervical spine surgery. I had two surgeries within a year apart and I know that after going through a surgery each time got harder, but looking back now 8 weeks post-op and pain free, I am sorry I let fear hold me back.

Remember everyone recovers differently and each struggle is not the same. Use this site as a guide to find more answers to your questions, but also follow it up with documented studies of treatment solutions. Ask your professionals question to help guide you in the right direction. I hope your fear subsides or your find a solution to relief your discomfort.

Good Luck ~

Tracy~
  • The longer you put it off, the more time you have to get yourself worked up over it. I had two level ACDF just over 2 months ago. When I woke up from surgery, I could lift my arms over my head, talk, walk, etc. I was slightly horse and had a very mild sore throat from the intubation but it was gone in less than 24 hours. I didn't have a pc pump. Pain wasn't an issue. I had a soft collar but just had to wear it in the car and when walking outside. For the first few days, I slept in a recliner with one of those neck travel pillow. Get bendy straws! The worst thing for me was feeling a light pressure in my throat due to swelling and the hardware. That lasted about six weeks. It didn't hurt, just felt weird. lol

So, get it done if you need it. You'll be glad it's over with and will be able to start feeling better. :-) best of luck to you. 
  • Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I am also on my second multilevel ACDF surgery 12 weeks post op. Its ok to be scared, but trust me when I say its in ur best interest to try and calm yourself as much as possible be
  • advertisement
  • Before you go under because you wake up feeling scared and it will affect your hospital stay. I am speaking from experience. Good luck I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Good luck tomorrow, let us know how it goes and ask us when you have questions.

So many of the things that you are worried about are normal to worry about.  But in the end won't be so bad.  Collar and sleeping, as long as you don't focus your mind on that, you will sleep because you will be tired.  Throat, yes you may feel some discomfort  but it isn't really that bad, just keep water and throat lozenges handy.

Recovery, well yes we all worry about that because we all recover a bit different, so nobody can tell you exactly how your recovery will be - but probably it will be better than you expect.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Well! I chickened out. I couldn't do it!!! My symptoms have eased in the arm and the fingers but the headaches, neck aches, scapula pain, shoulder pain is relentless! I'm gonna give it 2 more months! 

Thank you all so much for your positive perspective on my situation. I really appreciate everyone that has chimed in for support. I will keep my post updated as too what happens. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Well, that surprised me!

You can't undo surgery, but you can undo chickening out.  I was at peace with surgery because I knew tat I had done my best to avoid it, but still needed it.

Good luck

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hi littlelor, 

I am also having I  acdf c5-c7 soon.  I am also worried about a million things that could happen.  I am tired of the pain, the muscle stiffness, headaches and arm pain.  I hope everything goes well for you and you don't need surgery but with your symptoms, I believe all this cervical garbage will rear its ugly head again. 

dmo
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.