Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Why do I NOT hurt sometimes?

Comments

•  I believe that the bulge can shift temporarily, relieving pressure off the nerve root while in certain positions. Disc herniations are more notable during a ct/myelogram where you are tilted on the table so the dye disburses throughout the spinal fluid. This is how my first surgeon confirmed neural compression so I could have a microdiscectomy. When you're in an upright position, the nerve compression is seen more readily than being supine. My surgeon wouldn't operate unless there was proof of this.

I'm in pain all the time, and it varies in severity throughout the day. I feel better laying down and taking that pressure off my back.  

I've read Dr. Sarno's book years ago but it seems that he believes all pain is psychosomatic..you cure the underlying psychological problem and the back pain goes away. That was my take on it and I disagree with him. Yes, there can exist prior depression or anxiety for example, or depression induced pain. But I don't think it would be nowhere close to pain caused by a herniated disc or bulge with sciatica. This is real and not entirely psychogenic in nature.  
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • I read Dr Sarno's book yesterday (not having much else to do, being on sick leave), and I was not impressed. I find his suggestion  that pain is based on repressed anger and not on real pathology  insulting- and his suggestion to stop medication and physiotherapy preposterous (IMH- as a patient of course).
    Remember, however that  he doesn't claim that everyone has TMS- and I suspect that most of us in this group don't (just look at the medical histories we all post).
    He does however, make some good suggestions,  which I think we can all benefit from:
    Don't be afraid of the pain. Treat it with respect, but never give in to it. Take a break when necessary- but remember its only a break. Like a "strategic retreat" to regroup before going on the attack again. 
    Resume physical activity (not "all" as he instructs, but as much as we can). I suspect many of us move around less than we can, and that's not good. For example: I went for a walk today (first time out of the house in a week)- I averaged a 2 KPH hobble, but when I told myself "you can do better"- I did (not much, but I made it up to 2.15 KPH). 
    Many of us tend to over-medicate. Personally, I prefer a little pain (and there is always some) and a clear head than no pain and no brain.
    There  is definitely a  connection between mental state and level of pain (again IMH as a patient), and we need to be aware of that. 
    There's probably more, but that's all that stands out tome now.
    Good Luck
    David Cohen

• advertisement