Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

SUCCESS Stories? Are there any success tories?

In ten days I am scheduled to have decompression surgery on L4.  From what I have read here I can't see why anyone would sign up for surgery! After a half hour of reading I can't find anyone of you who is better off.
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi!
    I had a microdiscectomy on 6/16/16 and it has been hugely successful so far. I awoke from surgery with all nerve pain gone and it has not returned. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
    Ellen 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Selmer6 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello.....
    You may find it helpful to read...Post op Must Haves....and ...Recovery the Most Important Phase.
    You can find with search, upper right on page.

Best of luck and very smooth recovery!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I had L4-S1 fusion in January, and even with the complication of internal scar tissue (removed in June), I consider myself a success story in the making! 

There are plenty of horror stories out there, for sure.  We often say around here that the people who are "reaping the rewards" of a successful spinal procedure are out living their lives to the fullest rather than sitting on a computer!!  It's tough, though, because back surgery can get cast in a negative light due to the disproportionate number of "bad" things one reads/hears about it.  

@Ellen625 SO happy to hear you are continuing to do well!!  Keep the good news coming--as you can see, we need it!  

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Thanks Kimmy
    I've been thinking about you, hope you are doing well!

I agree, most people who have success aren't on the forums as much as those still suffering and looking for answers. I hope my "success story" is helpful to others!
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    how do you define 'success story'?  I think many of us hope for a treatment or surgery that will restore to us a 'normal' life.  I personally know of a few people where this was the case, never another back issue to complain about after their procedure.  But for the vast majority of us, at the very least, we have to be kind to our backs forever after.  For me, I am not completely satisfied with the surgery I had done (discectomy at L5-S1, re-herniation almost 1 yr later).  But my pain levels were greatly reduced with the surgery, and even with re-herniation have not returned to that level prior to surgery, thank God!  I was on several different prescriptions to just take the edge off and living like a zombie for 9 months; now I am getting by with only a couple of pills a day, sometimes not at all, if I'm lucky.  Would you call that a success?  It really depends on your perspective.  And many of us spineys have to learn to look at things from another perspective to get on with living life.  I wish you all the best with your procedure!  Keep positive, follow your post-op instructions, and you may be pleasantly surprised at how well things go for you!
advertisement