Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did your surgery turn your life positively, negatively, or same?

I would appreciated it, if you would reply with what kind of surgery you had and how long it's been as well. Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 639
    L4-5 fusion March 2015 for spondylolisthesis...couldn't tolerate the pain while working any longer (tried for 2 years, but progressively got worse).

The fusion took care of the sciatic pain (had only had it on the right side), but the surgery itself took a toll on my body. My recovery is seemingly taking forever, with most of the pain now on the left side.

I had to take an early retirement (I'm "only" almost 58 ; )  I would have to say my fusion has been a wash....but seems more on the negative than positive side. I say that mainly because I had the fusion in hopes to help me continue working a few years longer at the physically demanding job I had, then retire from that to doing something less taxing on my body. But as it turns out I'm still not able to do much of anything, yet. 

I could try a SCS in hopes that it would disrupt the pain signals to my brain, but masking pain by that method, or by an increase of pain medication seems like such a viscious cycle. So I'll do what I can for as long as I can tolerate the doing....
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

ACDF in Dec 2013 and Oct 2015.  Outcome is very positive.

Read  my story by following the link in my signature. (mono-k, I think that you have read it already, but for others)

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Thank you for sharing your stories.
  • I had a PLIF at L4-L5 on May 3rd.  I am a 40 year old woman and had DDD...the surgeon said when he got in there he discovered that my disc was "toast" and completely disintegrated.  The surgery was an absolute MIRACLE for me.  I had been off work for 5 months prior to the surgery.  Recovery was pretty quick and easy for me (after the first 2 weeks!), and I went back to work (I'm a teacher) in mid August and most days I don't even remember that anything happened to me until someone asks me how I'm doing!!!  
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,807
    Ok , lets start 
    1978-1986 4 Lumbar Surgeries
    1994-2000  2 ACDF
    2010  Both shoulders totally replaced
    2011-2013 Both Hips totally replaced
    2015 Achilles Tendon reconstructive surgery
    2016 Laminectomy L2-L5

I would consider my self a complete success story.  I am still recovering from the 2016 surgery, which at this point is mostly nerve related.

But overall, with the number of surgeries that I have had over the years, I consider myself to be very lucky and thankful.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    Aug. 2014 - l4/l5 micro' d/ laminectomy= compleate relief of sciatica pain

July 2015 - l4/l5 micro'd/hemilaminectomy = compleate 're of sciatica but constant low back pain

March 2016 - l4/l5 open TLIF fusion with hardware = relief from sciatica but still comes and goes. My left foot doesnt really work right anymore an kinda flops around, and constant low back pain around a 5 or 6. And if i sit too long both feet go numb. All in all its still better than dragging my leg around and having constant sciatica.  Lol
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 431
    I had my discectomy surgery in December 2014.  The surgery did put an end to the horrible nerve pain I had been dealing with since 9 months earlier, although not immediately.  Prior to surgery, I could barely walk, sit, stand because of the pain.  Immediately after surgery, I was able to walk again; within a few weeks I was walking 2 miles with no problems.  I re-herniated nearly a year after surgery.  I have recovered somewhat  since then with conservative measures, but I am waiting to consult with my neurosurgeon to see what might be next.  I live with the pain, but it still is not as bad as it was prior to my surgery.  I am  hoping to turn this around yet, so I'm hoping this 'summary' will have more positive things added in the future :)  I am not sorry, however, that I went with the discectomy in the first place.
advertisement