Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Arachnoid Cyst: T4-T6 Along with Other Spinal Injuries

Hello All!

I've suffered from back pain for as long as I can remember, honestly, with it progressively getting worse the older I got.  I was in two major car accidents when I was 15 (I was not driving, my  mother was), one more bad one when I was 24, and another car totaling accident on April 13th, 2016 this year.  I had started seeing an actual pain management doctor when I was 29 because my pain had become so bad and so constant that I couldn't handle it myself anymore and any regular PCP I went to looked at me like I was a drug addict because my back would 'go out' with just a sneeze or reaching to get something.  So I have a distrust of doctors to begin with because no one ever believed that I was in 'that' much pain (not even my family).  So when I finally did see a pain management doctor and he told me that I did have an injury, I was sadly relieved.  After explaining my symptoms and pain, they told me it was my neck and that I would be on some different medications and they would give me cortisone shots and I would feel better and neck surgery wasn't something that I had to worry about yet.  So I tried the cortisone shots and all they did was cause MORE pain.  They were stumped.  So they tried a nerve block and that did absolutely nothing.  So then, they tried lazering off my nerve endings off and that HURT so BAD that I was throwing up from the pain.  After a while I found a new doctor and got a new cervical MRI, seeing three disks bulging into my spinal canal at around 2mm each and he told me that he was better at the cortizone shots and to let him get it a try because I wasn't ever doing that again.  After a year he finally wore me down to let him try it.  And I couldn't get out of bed for 3 weeks.  I couldn't move my neck a fraction of an inch without having pains shoot out all over.  Through all of this I didn't really have any lower back pain.  A few times a year, maybe.  And all of my shoulders and arm pains were explain away from my neck injury.

Then I had my car accident in April of this year.  It set everything off.  My neck hurt worse, my middle back was in constant pain and my lower back pain was causing my hips and knees to hurt like I had knives in them.  So I went in for new MRI's to see if the damage had gotten any worse.  So he found that with my bulging disks one of them was torn open and the 'toothpaste' like inside was squirting into my spinal canal, I also have bulging disks into my lumbar along with a couple Tarlov cysts in my sacral, and the biggest problem, a sizable acachnoid cyst in my thoracic T4-T6 pushing in on my spinal cord.  So severe that if I don't take care of it soon, I could be paralyzed.  I fall a lot.  My balance sucks.  If I'm not walking on a smooth floor, I will fall.  And if I start to tip, I'm already gone.  I see a neurosurgeon on Wednesday this week and I'm scared out of my MIND!!  HAs anyone else gone through this?  What are your experiences?  I know that surgery isn't going to do much for pain but it's something I have to do.  But it doesn't make me any less nervous....

Thanks for reading and replying if you can!!  (I know how rare these cysts are!!)
advertisement

Comments

• DemonicaDDemonica Houston, TXPosts: 2
    Well this is extremely depressing to not have anyone know what I'm going through.  And an update since I saw the neurosurgeon this past Wednesday, he ordered a new MRI with contrast this time to try and be more definite on what he has to remove.  He's not completely sure it's an arachnoid cyst but doesn't believe its a tumor.  After my next appointment on October, 5th he should be able to tell me when the laminectomy will be scheduled.  Even thought the surgery is inevitable and will save me from eventually being paralyzed for the waist down at least, I'm terrified of my spine being sawn open to expose me spinal column and spinal cord.  It's not something that I'm easily processing.
  • Hello Demonica
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Sometimes it takes awhile for forum members to find a post or are experiencing the same issues.
    Hit the welcome message below my signature for more information on the site.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • Did you end up having your surgery? I have just found out that I have an arachnoid cyst on my spine from T3 to t7 and it is flattening my spinal cord to 3 mm. I am terrified of both having the surgery and not having the surgery.